Whitney's background singers

31 replies to this topic

#1 T

whitney IS the G.O.A.T

• 7,173 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 02:02 AM

Do yall have a favorite Whitney background singer? Mine is Charlotte Gibson because she seems to be kinda close to Whitney. And Whitney does give her more spotlight opportunities. However, everyone gets a solo opportunity with Whitney because she is just that confident.

BTW, have yall notice how a lot of background singers just seem to be all up in the songs like they are singing lead? I have seen so many performers who background singers are acting like they are pushing for a solo deal. I mean dang some of them ain't even singing more than a few words at a time, but they act as though they are doing a gospel song. For example, Ginuwine has some terrible background singers, IMO. They seriously be straining.
I love LOVE!

#2 WEALTHEE

• 639 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 02:09 AM

I also like Charlotte Gibson. In recent performances, I think that Jaheim and Tyrese have some great back up singers. I can't think of anyone else off hand at the moment.

#3 Cdj2002

• 1,359 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 04:10 AM

>Do yall have a favorite Whitney background singer? Mine is
>Charlotte Gibson because she seems to be kinda close to
>Whitney.

I also love Charlotte, she has been with Whitney sense '97(I think) and she can really sing. There use to be one other background singer with Whitney, her name Patti Howard('94-97,98')she was on both tv concerts and she had a gospel flare to her voice.

I like Christina Aguilera's backgroud singer, because they sing very hard, especially on Fighter.

Please do not hate me, but I love Mariah's background, she has kept them the longest and they always sound good- like a gospel choir in three or four people(remember Kelly Price was one of them).

Jill Scott has awesome background, so good that Vivian Green has her own album and Carol Riddick is coming out with an album.

And do not forget the TWO BIGGEST BACKGROUND singers Cissy Houston and Luther Vandross. Cissy has done over 500 background sessions and Luther probably about the same. I had to mention them.

#4 T

whitney IS the G.O.A.T

• 7,173 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 04:12 AM

Oh most def Cissy is a classic example of a wonderful background singer.
I love LOVE!

#5 Tiffany P

• 4,733 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 06:43 AM

Actully I think Cindy Mizelle, who sang backup on the MLIYL album and did Diav's 99 and the MLIYL tour with Whitney, is probably one of the most well known in the music industry. I did a search for her on amazon and cdnow once and got a lot of results. She even sang on Lisa Fischer's album and they are both known for being Luther's back up singers.
I've never found anyone who fulfilled my needs......I learned to depend on me'

#6 whluver

Web Board Addict

• 29,558 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 06:49 AM

>I like Christina Aguilera's backgroud singer, because they
>sing very hard, especially on Fighter.

I noticed that at the concert. That song was just awesome.

>Please do not hate me, but I love Mariah's background, she
>has kept them the longest and they always sound good- like a
>gospel choir in three or four people(remember Kelly Price
>was one of them).

Yes, Mariah has the best in the business.

>And do not forget the TWO BIGGEST BACKGROUND singers Cissy
>Houston and Luther Vandross. Cissy has done over 500
>background sessions and Luther probably about the same. I
>had to mention them.

Cissy sings backup on The Closer I Get to You with Bee and Luther, but I swear I cannot pick her out for the life of me. I was shocked because it sounds as if they are the only two on the track.
Posted Image
The Emporium: The Luxurious House of Sherry

#7 Mr Jace

Resident Wigologist, and Nippy Trinity Member

• 7,886 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 11:17 PM

Personally, I liked the b/g singers on the South Africa tour. They sang b/g for WH at least throughout the BG tour.
Posted Image
My heart is calling.
"Be good to yourself when nobody else will."

#8 laprimadivas1fan

• 5,267 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 12:30 AM

>Personally, I liked the b/g singers on the South Africa
>tour. They sang b/g for WH at least throughout the BG tour.

Ditto.
Posted Image
Let Love Be Your Energy!
- Robbie Williams

"When the curtain rises, the only thing that speaks is courage." - Maria Callas

#9 BDB

• 1,434 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 01:17 AM

I can't really comment on Whitney's bckgrnd except for the ones I have seen/heard on the three HBO concerts, and they were all good...I have never seen Whitney Live/in person personally...When am I going to get my chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, I will say that Mariah, Luther, Aretha, Jill, and Erykah all have some excellent background singers. Ooh, I have got to throw in the Perri Sisters who back Anita Baker live and in some studio cuts of hers.

Aretha has her cousins, I believe backing her now (Divas Tribute) when they do their "get-it-get-it..." routine in sync. Mariah's singers just plain SANG....and Luther also has great harmonies, and call and response singing is superb....of the new school, the neo-soul generation is picking up on the importance of that aspect of live performing.

#10 T

whitney IS the G.O.A.T

• 7,173 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 01:20 AM

Also, I like Syretha Smith and Patti Howard. And of course, Gary. I love how her family is involved in just about everything she does. She and Gary appear to be very close. Okay I am OT now, but that is nothing new.
I love LOVE!

#11 Fernanda

• 4,491 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 02:32 PM

My fave WHITNEY'S background singers are Patti Howard and Olivia McLurkin... I like this Charlotte girl, but I think she gets too much attention...

But let me say something... The one with the best background singers has always been Mariah Carey... Maybe because she can't sing live the way she does it in studio, so she needs some help... :P

"Sometimes the best way to figure out who you are is to get to that place where you don't have to be anything else."

Posted Image

SHE HAS NEVER LEFT, REALLY.

#12 Roberto

• 1,433 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 02:37 PM

>>Maybe because she can't sing live the way she does it in studio, so she needs some help... <<

Are you looking for some problems young lady ? I'm kidding. I also think mariah has the best backvocals, and to me they always seems to be the same.

But CeCe and BeBe Winas had the best backvocal ever, our girl. Remember that ? :)

#13 lovenip

• 2,148 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 03:41 PM

If Charlotte Gibson is who I think she is, then she is one of my favorit too. :)
Posted Image

#14 smeckles

Mr. Smeckles

• 8,523 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 04:50 PM

>Personally, I liked the b/g singers on the South Africa
>tour. They sang b/g for WH at least throughout the BG tour.

Those are the girls from Newark. They were the best background singers she's had in awhile. Get this they each were making 20,000 a night to sing back-up.

“Many Diva’s Imitate the Thrown, but there is only one Whitney Houston”!

http://latinosearch2001.homestead.com/file...les/whitney.jpg

#15 T

whitney IS the G.O.A.T

• 7,173 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 04:58 PM

>>Personally, I liked the b/g singers on the South Africa
>>tour. They sang b/g for WH at least throughout the BG tour.
>
>
>Those are the girls from Newark. They were the best
>background singers she's had in awhile. Get this they each
>were making 20,000 a night to sing back-up.

$20,000 A NIGHT to sing back-up?! What! So 5 shows later and you have $100,000 (before taxes of course). I know Ricky had to be making some serious, crazy money if they got that much. Wasn't Patti one of those singers?
I love LOVE!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users