WH biopic: film about WH's life planned? Rihanna to star?

89 replies to this topic

#31 Kapyophi

• 488 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

Agreed... years from now is the time to have this convo. It needs to be a casting call and some undiscovered talent. Fresh face and new to the scene to make her mark! Angela Bassett OWNED that Tina Turner role. So whomever gets this deal, needs to study Whitney and do an awesome job and not imitate and become a mockery and come off as a joke.

#32 Chillaxinmia

• 1,802 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

I would be soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo UPSET if Rihanna (as much as I like her being the Donna Summer of our time) was cast as the lead in this role. They simply must NOT do that. A full fledged NATIONWIDE, heck WORLDWIDE audition MUST be conducted to find that ONE female of African descent who can both ACT and SING and looks almost as, if not just as gorgeous as Whitney looks. Believe me, that girl is OUT THERE waiting to be plucked out of obscurity. They must not however rush this project by casting Rihanna or any other fly by night singer just to get that artist's fans to come out to see the flick. Whitney DESERVES MUCH BETTER than that. They did an extensive search for the "Effie" character when the "Dreamgirls" project was being plotted and could have easily gone with American Idol winner Fantasia who auditioned and who had more name recognition but instead they chose TALENT over stardom and picked Jennifer Hudson who played the heck outta that role and won an Oscar!. Such must be the case when they begin casting for this project i.e. choose TALENT not stardom.
That's my 2 cents.

#33 YouAreLoved

• 163 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

View PostKapyophi, on 03 April 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

Agreed... years from now is the time to have this convo. It needs to be a casting call and some undiscovered talent. Fresh face and new to the scene to make her mark! Angela Bassett OWNED that Tina Turner role. So whomever gets this deal, needs to study Whitney and do an awesome job and not imitate and become a mockery and come off as a joke.

Exactly...I really don't feel like it's time yet. I understand that it's natural to start discussing things like this, but I think it's still time to remember Whitney as Whitney, not some actress playing Whitney. Think about how long it had been after Billie Holiday's death when Lady Sings The Blues came out...or La Vie En Rose for Edith Piaf...

#34 ILoveYouBack

Abu

• 195 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

I SO agree about Angela Bassett and Tina Turner. She put the stamp on Tina the way Whitney put her stamp on all of her songs. And, remember, they used Tina's voice in the movie, and it didn't bother me one bit. We absolutely do not need someone who can sing to play Whitney. We need someone who can ACT and...lipsync. An amazing actress who is also a huge Whitney fan would be great, wouldn't it? I don't think she would be hard to find. If she happens to be able to sing...and SOUND something like Whitney, that's icing on the cake. But she better be able to get Whitney down pat, cuz we'll be judging!

And, Good Lord, I hope all of this talk about a biopic is just talk right now. We don't need one right now. It's way too soon. We could even stand to wait a few years in my opinion. Do rush to throw some crappy piece of ish on the screen, or else we'll see all the rumors she suffered through in her life come to cinematic fruition. Get Cissy Houston and Dionne involved. Do the required research and interview the people who really knew her. Heck, interview BBBBBB in one of his rare moments of honesty and genuine reflection and integrity.

#35 Petra

• 686 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

i too hope these are just rumors..i mean, Michael died 3 years ago and still no movie..that's the way it should be, it takes time..people need to cope with this first and most of us don't just shrug something like this away..yes, some years from now i would definitely see that movie..next year? no way..

and i guess we all agree that Angela did a hell of a job playing Tina..she made it look so real that during the whole movie it never occurred to me that she was lypsincing, you could almost believe it was her actual voice..of course i knew it was Tina's voice, but it was just so well done..

so i want them to do something like that..find someone who can really act and who can really lypsinc..if anyone has any ideas of that actress really singing, they need to forget it right now..i wanna hear my Whitney's voice..

Posted Image
"If the voice is a musical instrument, here is a Stradivarius."
- Time magazine -

That Stradivarius is playing its sweet notes in Heaven now.

I will love you for the rest of my days and beyond.

You are free.

Full time angel since Feb 11, 2012

#36 frisbie21

• 46 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

I like Rihanna, but I don't think that she has so much talent to play a star like Whitney.

#37 Tejay06

• 858 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostEvery1lovesNippy, on 03 April 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

View PostTejay06, on 03 April 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

Well, for the most part, when Angela Bassett took on Tina Turner, she was practically a nobody. For me, Angela Bassett is and will always be, TINA TURNER. I don't think we have to have an A list actress - that'd be nice. I want someone who wants it badly enough to do it incredible justice. IMO, you could feel how badly Jennifer wanted Effie in Dreamgirls and she totally pulled it out. (BTW, I am not recommending her. I'd go audition for it before I'd let Jennifer play Whitney.) Moving on...a person that I think could do justice to the part and in terms of frame has always reminded me of Whitney is Tamyra Gray. She has a decent enough voice to sing two words of a lyric of one of Whitney's song. I don't know about her acting chops - but hey, anything is possible. ***Drops mic and leaves stage***

And you are right about Angela Basset playing Tina Turner. She owned that role. That's exactly what we need for Whitney (10 years from now when some time has passed), we need a real actress.

She wore it out! I just saw Columbus Short on Scandal - he's a perfect body (freudian slip) he's a perfect BOBBY, with a perfect body. Granted, it's a huge compliment to Bobby - I can see him doing that role a lot of justice in a few years. I can't wait ten - 5 max....but even if they are gonna wait a while - it doesn't hurt to start the process now.
Posted Image

#38 Bo_86

• 99 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

View PostJoleen, on 03 April 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

If it were based on acting then for a known actress my pick is Halle Berry. She was brilliant as Dorothy Dandridge which I loved and adored her in. :)

Rihanna no. I am annoyed when pop stars like her are just handed these big important roles based off the fact that she will bring in the money. :/ I'd rather just go for an UNKNOWN! It's safer and sometimes better anyway.

i was afraid to say this, so i'm glad you did. i'm probably biased because she's one of my faves, and therefore i overlook the physical resemblance barriers. but i'd rather halle take it any day of the week before rhianna does.

unpoular opinion, but i'm not too sure about paula patton.

#39 remamamama

• 3,201 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

I'm actually not that against someone like Rihanna portraying Whitney. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Rihanna's music, I do think she's talented, but definitely not vocally. Obviously I don't know enough about Rihanna's acting skills to say whether she's a good actress or not, but she does have certain qualities that resemble Whitney - her attitude, her stage presence, maybe her choice of wigs.

I want a real actress to portray Whitney in her biopic. I don't think the person portraying Whitney necessarily needs to be able to sing like Whitney. She doesn't even need to be a good singer. They could just let her lipsynch to her music. That won't be a problem to me.

Whoever portrays Whitney needs to be able to imitate Whitney's mannerisms, the way she speaks, stands, holds a mic, does the diva bow, etc. Certainly she needs to resemble Whitney. She doesn't need to look exactly like Whitney because that would be impossible. Halle Berry as Whitney - yes. Halle Berry as Aretha - NO.

I just don't want to see a biopic come out so soon. It took us three generations (Aretha, Cissy, Dionne) to build a Whitney Houston. Give us at least another decade to find someone suitable to portray her.

Posted Image

#40 J1994

• 30 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hey Im New..
But I been reading this topic and I'm surpirsed this actress hasn't come mind for anyone!!

Zoe Saldana is an amazing actress, and very underrated. I'm pretty sure she can do Whitney Justice.

She even resembles a young whitney circa 1985-1987.

#41 ttse92

• 214 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

please, rihanna can't sing for life!

#42 26twin

• 132 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

I just heard that BK wants to play her mom if there I ever one made since no one knows her like she did. Heard this on the radio, so not sure how true this is...I think that's so sweet. Never thought about BK playing her.

#43 Sweet P

• 121 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

I heard about that too, was on the news here and TMZ, Entertainment. It might be a good thing because she did know alot about her mom than alot of us and she knows her mannerisms and whatnot. So perhaps after if they decide to do the biopic and use her, It might be good for he to get some acting if not small acting parts just to get her feet wet into that area first.

#44 steno

• 387 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

bk wants to play her mum in biopic..

http://www.dailymail...on-Rihanna.html

#45 Petra

• 686 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

I just don't see her in that role. Don't see her at all. We need someone with experience and lots of talent.

And I also don't like this constant talk about a movie, I really hope these are just rumors, it's too soon.

Posted Image
"If the voice is a musical instrument, here is a Stradivarius."
- Time magazine -

That Stradivarius is playing its sweet notes in Heaven now.

I will love you for the rest of my days and beyond.

You are free.

Full time angel since Feb 11, 2012

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users