OT: Madonna. The last of the 80s holy trinity

25 replies to this topic

#16 tms78

• 193 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

View Postsmann87, on 23 March 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

I agree with Lisa's sentiments and I'm a fan of Madge myself. I agree that she didn't have to struggle with having the talent of "genius" (btw whoever said Janet is thriving - I saw and loved the tour last year but hasn't she not had a Top 10 hit in over 10 years...with how many attempts?) but also - I don't know how she overcame them but she has been a naughty girl herself. I've heard from enough people that have been with her on the party scene including dealers that Madonna has done her fair share of some illegal habits. Congrats on staying alive and overcoming them I guess. It seems pointless to vent about it here but I had to vent somewhere because Madonna fans are infiltrating random music message boards about how highly moralistic Madonna has been and how she always knew to make the best decisions....right.

Sean
there's success without Top 10 hits. That narrow-minded view of success is what drives artists to chase trends as opposed to creating ART.

Janet doesn't have to compete with Katy Perry or Lady Gaga, as they are pretty much using a diluted version of a template she mastered 20 years ago. As long as her songs have good content, anything she released will be embraced by her fans.

And what I said is that Madonna doesn't have the burden of genius. She has talent-clearly. Her ability to stay a step ahead of where everyone expects her to be is a gift.

But if she lip-syncs through her concerts, people won't really be surprised or disappointed. If she cancels a show, there is no worldwide smear campaign. She's not expected to sing the hardest pop songs anyone's recorded flawlessly 100% live. Whitney is largely considered the best vocalist anyone has every heard the last 50-60 years. She's also easily the most heavily criticized singer-even though her legacy was solidified by her ability to NAIL her songs live.

#17 Cretay

• 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

JANET JACKSON!!! HELLO!!! SHES STILL HERE AND DOING AMAZING

#18 smann87

• 6,423 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

LOL Janet is doing well but she is not *thriving.* I miss Vinny because he is to the point when it comes to commercial success. She had to cancel her last tour of arenas, has not had a Top 10 hit, nor had a hit career. Emotionally is she happy? Yes. Can she put on a good show? Absolutely, I loved the GH tour last year....all done in concert halls. But she is not by any means of commercial success - thriving. I like her and I'm a fan, but even record deals have been shaky with her. It's not hating, I'm just being honest. Katy Perry is not artistically *thriving* but she is commercially successful and I know I'm not the only Janet fan who would agree none of her latest stuff measures to her earlier work. Again, just saying....
Posted Image

#19 smann87

• 6,423 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

Correction: career=album* on the second line there
Posted Image

#20 Every1lovesNippy

• 749 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

View PostCretay, on 27 March 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

JANET JACKSON!!! HELLO!!! SHES STILL HERE AND DOING AMAZING

Guess it all depends on one's definitions.

#21 Joleen

• 36 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

I love Madonna. Bought my tickets for her 2012 tour and I am excited!!! AM I surprised that she's become the icon that she has? Nope. I knew she would. This woman has the strength of a steel truck. She never fell victim to drugs or any scandals unless it was something she was purposely doing through her art and music. That's genius to me. She always remained in control. Not sure how she managed to do it, but I think the key for her is that from the very beginning of her career she had this tough "I don't care I will do what I want and how I want it attitude." It never left.

As for her voice. I think it was when she did Evita and then released her "Something to Remember" ballad album that I really realized how beautiful her voice is. Her song Masterpiece is one of my favorite songs on the new MDNA album. Classic Madonna! It's beautiful. People always seem to forget how much of an amazing dancer she is to. Its what she started out as. ;)

Anyway LUV MADONNA!

Edited by Joleen, 03 April 2012 - 07:07 PM.

#22 Divaish

• 26 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

^^^^^^^
Wow, really, I guess I didn't realize in the last 30 years how amazing Madonna is :whistling:
Such an amazing voice and what a glorious dancer!!!!!
SMDH...amazing my BLEEP! :thumbdown:

#23 Divaish

• 26 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

Sorry, wasn't a personal attack on you. I just don't think that Madonna is all that talented or gifted. I agree that she stays relevent but I don't think there is a" Genius"
element to it.

#24 Tiger

THE Tiger!

• 7,815 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

I have been saying this for almost a decade on this board, I think Madonn'a biggest strength is not her dancing or her music or her production or even lyrics (she is always running out of time and tired of waiting in her songs, count them), but somehow she manages to surround herself with a strong team. Throughout her career Madonna has worked with several dancers producers directors musicians etc... but she only worked with them 1 or 2 albums at most, then moved on.

She does not have the "it" artistically, but she definitely has the brains, and luck.
Posted Image

"My finest day... is yet unknown..."

"Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary" -Mahatma Gandhi

#25 Joleen

• 36 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

OH I am not offended! ;) Not everybody is going to love Madonna. I just wanted to point out that she does write, sing, produce and play her own music. Yes it's true she brings in a team to help fine tune things, but she's the one calling the shots on everything. But you know each artist has their strengths and weaknesses. I don't like to even call it a weakness though. Look at Whitney. Dancing wasn't her thing but of course her strength was in that golden voice.. I do think Madonna is a genius but I think Whitney was one too. I guess genius means different things to different people. ;)

#26 remamamama

• 3,261 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

View PostTiger, on 04 April 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

I have been saying this for almost a decade on this board, I think Madonn'a biggest strength is not her dancing or her music or her production or even lyrics (she is always running out of time and tired of waiting in her songs, count them), but somehow she manages to surround herself with a strong team. Throughout her career Madonna has worked with several dancers producers directors musicians etc... but she only worked with them 1 or 2 albums at most, then moved on.

She does not have the "it" artistically, but she definitely has the brains, and luck.

I can never understand why some people call her the greatest "dancer" of all time. That woman hardly dances lol! She has a decent voice, some good moves, writes well, can't act. At best that makes her a mediocre singer, dancer, and actress.

I'm not saying that she can't do the above. It's just that there are hundreds of entertainers who can sing, dance, write, and act better than her. What she has (and frankly no one else in the business does) is the ability to constantly reinvent herself. And she's done that for 30 decades. That's her genius.

Btw, I'm not disparaging Madonna. I have huge respect for her and I do love her music. And I'm always happy when older, established artists do great in the charts.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users