Jump to content


OT: Madonna. The last of the 80s holy trinity



25 replies to this topic

#1 ibelieveinmeandme

    Member

  • 73 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

Who would have thought that back in the 80s, when MJ, Whitney and Madonna ruled the music world that it would be Madonna that remains today in 2012.

But remains she does, and as her latest video shows - in my opinion- she's still working hard.

Yes, she may not have Whitney's voice or Michael's magic but you cannot argue with a career built on some fantastic pop songs. The Immaculate Collection must surely be one of the all time greatest Greatest Hits albums.

An interesting thought came to me the other day. It seems to me like when a star has such a rare, precious talent that takes them into the stratosphere (like Whitney and MJ) this gift and the pressures that come with the fame that it gives are really like a curse.

Madonna does not have such gifts. She has said herself that she's not the best singer or dancer in the world. But I think that it's that lack of supernatural gift that has kept her alive and going today. Madonna has to work twice as hard to give the kind of quality that MJ and Whitney could do in their sleep. Madonna's gift is her work ethic and the ability to control her life and image despite the whirlwind around her.

Granted her new album is just treading water, but I do love her new video: classic Madonna referencing herself circa Erotica/Justify my Love period. At 53 the woman looks astonishing.

I know she's not always been kind about our Whitney. But I really feel we should cherish all of these larger than life superstars as there are less and less of them coming through.

So, Madonna: I Salute you and wish you Nothing But Love! Keep on Keepin on!



#2 WhitneyTheEmpress

    Member

  • 268 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

Well, Madonna is the only one who still is "on top" since the 80's. As you are saying, she is working so damn hard and I admire her for that. Proves that she really loves what she is doing.

I also find it amazing that she always gets back on top after bad periods in her carrier. Sometimes she is gone for years, but when she comes back, oh then she's back.

#3 helltothenah!

    Senior Member

  • 1,439 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

I too, admire her for her work ethic and the good work she continues to put out. Unlike Whitney and Michael, she didn't let the stress of superstardom get to her and gave the haters the bird. I would trade her to have Whitney or Michael back any day, but I DO appreciate her accomplishments and salute her as the Queen of Pop (a title which she shares with Whitney in my heart).
Posted Image

#4 ibelieveinmeandme

    Member

  • 73 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

Anyone who's been to see Madonna live ( I've seen her 6 times) will testify that she puts on a SHOW. What's also interesting is that her voice is constantly improving over the years. She really looks after it and has a vocal coach on call. She realised that she needed to change the way she was singing after the Girlie Show tour, which put a major strain on her vocal cords.

I think the reason Madonna has managed to keep herself together through the superstardom is that she really had to fight for acceptance and approval by the public because she did not have these immediately appealing talents that Whitney and MJ have. That has kept her hungry and focussed.

#5 tms78

    Member

  • 193 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Janet Jackson and Lionel Richie would both take issue with that, since their careers are both thriving.

Madonna has the burden of fame, but she hasn't had to carry the burden of GENIUS. That's the part that seems to take our icons down.

#6 Accomplice

    Member

  • 133 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

View Posttms78, on 22 March 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

Janet Jackson and Lionel Richie would both take issue with that, since their careers are both thriving.

Madonna has the burden of fame, but she hasn't had to carry the burden of GENIUS. That's the part that seems to take our icons down.

Well said.

#7 Every1lovesNippy

    Senior Member

  • 749 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

View Postibelieveinmeandme, on 22 March 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

Anyone who's been to see Madonna live ( I've seen her 6 times) will testify that she puts on a SHOW. What's also interesting is that her voice is constantly improving over the years. She really looks after it and has a vocal coach on call. She realised that she needed to change the way she was singing after the Girlie Show tour, which put a major strain on her vocal cords.

I think the reason Madonna has managed to keep herself together through the superstardom is that she really had to fight for acceptance and approval by the public because she did not have these immediately appealing talents that Whitney and MJ have. That has kept her hungry and focussed.

I've bought some Madonna music, but, what voice?

#8 buddha

    Senior Member

  • 5,998 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

You have to admire Madonna for her achievements and the longevity with her complete lack of tangible talents. She doesn't care if people think she's a mummy she just keeps doing what starlets decades younger do and does it well and probably does it another decade down the line! Somebody just needs to tell her to stop directing movies
Posted Image

#9 Tiger

    THE Tiger!

  • 7,812 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Madonna has never been 'unkind' to Whitney, neither has Whitney been unkind to Madonna. They were not friends, but they were not enemies either. They referred to each other with mutual respect.

I am a fan of hers and first to admit she does not have the natural talent, but she does work hard and is a smart business woman really. She managed to stay relevant all those years. I read reviews about her new album and it looks like critics are praising it. I haven't bought it yet, been in a very Whitney mood, but I might buy it.
Posted Image

"My finest day... is yet unknown..."

"Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary" -Mahatma Gandhi

#10 Every1lovesNippy

    Senior Member

  • 749 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostTiger, on 23 March 2012 - 08:10 AM, said:

Madonna has never been 'unkind' to Whitney, neither has Whitney been unkind to Madonna. They were not friends, but they were not enemies either. They referred to each other with mutual respect.

I am a fan of hers and first to admit she does not have the natural talent, but she does work hard and is a smart business woman really. She managed to stay relevant all those years. I read reviews about her new album and it looks like critics are praising it. I haven't bought it yet, been in a very Whitney mood, but I might buy it.

I agree with everything you said. Hard worker, smart, no tatural talent for singing but manages to stay relevant. I like Madonna and find her amusing, but I just can't listen to her try to sing. She has a great ear for what is popular, and I think she would be an excellent producer. She should get some younger acts and start producing seriously; she would be great at it. I just have to laugh, though, when people use the words Madonna and "voice" in the same sentence.

#11 Petra

    Senior Member

  • 686 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

it has always amazed me how she was able to stand the test of time..as someone already said, she goes MIA for some time, but when she comes back with an album, everybody's talking about it, she's on tv, radio, everywhere..then she goes on tour, delivers a great show with all those dancers, routines and props and she's back on top..of course, singing has never been her strong side, but she manages to go around it with all this other stuff she has going on..and when you think about her age, it really is praise worthy..she really is a hard worker..

Posted Image
"If the voice is a musical instrument, here is a Stradivarius."
- Time magazine -


That Stradivarius is playing its sweet notes in Heaven now.


I will love you for the rest of my days and beyond.

You are free.


Full time angel since Feb 11, 2012


#12 Lisa

    VIP Member

  • 14,169 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Kudos on being alive. :shrug:
If tomorrow is judgment day ...
And the Lord asks me what I did with my life,
I will say I spent it with you.

#13 Alexandros

    Mr Art Director

  • 2,933 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostLisa, on 23 March 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

Kudos on being alive. :shrug:
True... Very true...SMH...
Posted Image

#14 smann87

    Senior Member

  • 6,423 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

I agree with Lisa's sentiments and I'm a fan of Madge myself. I agree that she didn't have to struggle with having the talent of "genius" (btw whoever said Janet is thriving - I saw and loved the tour last year but hasn't she not had a Top 10 hit in over 10 years...with how many attempts?) but also - I don't know how she overcame them but she has been a naughty girl herself. I've heard from enough people that have been with her on the party scene including dealers that Madonna has done her fair share of some illegal habits. Congrats on staying alive and overcoming them I guess. It seems pointless to vent about it here but I had to vent somewhere because Madonna fans are infiltrating random music message boards about how highly moralistic Madonna has been and how she always knew to make the best decisions....right.


Sean
Posted Image

#15 Nik31

    Senior Member

  • 1,589 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

I respect her as an entertainer. But I stopped listen to her music many, many years ago.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users