OT: Introduce Yourself! Newbies and Vets alike!

67 replies to this topic

#31 Tejay06

• 858 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

Ok, my turn.

Hey Y'all... I'm Terrence. However, on here I go by TJ, because there is another TERRENCE who stole my shine. (Actually, I never had it. :rolleyes: ) Anyhoo
Thanks to TERRENCE - I posted on here before I became an actual member circa 2003 or 2004. I stopped posting a while back, but I never stopped visiting - so I won't call it a comeback - I've be here for years! I also got to meet some of ya'll while in D.C. for the Presidential Inauguration. (Can we get someone to post a picture please. Thanks, love)

Here's my story - I'm from Houston, Texas. (SHOUT OUT to all the Texas folks!) I became aware of Whitney when I was about 5 or 6 years old, and I HATED her! Only because my older sister LOVED her, and I hated my sister. (Ironically, February 11th is my sister's birthday) I even thought my city was named after her. EVERY DAY before my parents would come home my sister would put on my mother's high heels and wrap a towel around her head and serenade me with EVERY SINGLE song from Whitney's first album. Then I'd have to hear it in the car. On family vacations - for family talent shows - for EVERYBODY's GRADUATION - It was annoying! AND although I didn't understand much as a young child, it appeared to me that WHITNEY HOUSTON won EVERYTHING!!! All the time!!! Back then, I would have given anything to make it stop.

Well, I had a change of heart after my middle school crush sung "The Greatest Love of All" at our school talent show. In order to ensure that I'd never forget that moment, I'd come home and listen to Whitney sing it EVERYDAY. Eventually, I started listening to the entire album with new ears and realized why so many others loved her so much. I was and have been HOOKED ever since.

Whitney's music has definitely been the soundtrack of my life. There are two stories - I'll share and then I'll take my seat.

In 1997, I took my grandma and great Aunt to see "The Preacher's Wife" for Christmas. They both "got happy" when Whitney sung, "I Love the Lord." When "You Are Loved" was played in the movie, my grandmother leaned over and said to my great Aunt - "Chile, that gurl KNOW she can sang." - The following year my grandmother passed away. EVERY Christmas - I look at "The Preacher's Wife" and think of her. (I'm not looking forward to this Christmas)

The other story - when I was in middle school and high school - I suffered a lot with depression. One night I was really, really discouraged. I felt like I had enough. I put TPW soundtrack in my CD player on repeat and went to bed. In the middle of the night I woke up and heard:

"Say it baby, don't give up - You've got to hold on to what you've got - Oh baby, don't give up - you've got to keep on moving don't stop. I know you're hurting and I know you're blue. I know you're hurting - but don't let the bad things get to you."

I knew it was God talking to me through that song - and it gave me the strength I needed to push through.

For me, Whitney Houston is like a distant cousin. Sure I never met her, but it didn't and doesn't stop that ole' familial feeling I get when I listen to her talk or read about her life. I know the new popular saying: "To the world she was icon, but to them she was family." For me, she was and will always be my icon and in many ways a part of my family.
Posted Image

#32 Cantor

• 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

Wow, TJ!

Almost everything you shared had me smiling (your grandmother's passing was the part where I wasn't smiling, obviously).

OMIGOONDESS! And as I type this, what song should come up on shuffle on my playlist?!!!!

Step by Step!!

Wow.

Okay, moment of wow-ness just overwhelmed me.

I love that your sister's passion for Whitney Houston was one of the driving factors in your initial dislike of her. Too cute!

I just want to thank everyone for sharing what they've shared so far. Hearing these stories is just so awesome and makes me realise just how connected we all are through Whitney's music.

Posted Image

Go in peace, God be with you.

Go in peace, be at rest with the saints and the angels.

Now you are free.

Go in peace.

#33 Tejay06

• 858 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

View PostCantor, on 08 March 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

Wow, TJ!

Almost everything you shared had me smiling (your grandmother's passing was the part where I wasn't smiling, obviously).

OMIGOONDESS! And as I type this, what song should come up on shuffle on my playlist?!!!!

Step by Step!!

Wow.

Okay, moment of wow-ness just overwhelmed me.

I love that your sister's passion for Whitney Houston was one of the driving factors in your initial dislike of her. Too cute!

I just want to thank everyone for sharing what they've shared so far. Hearing these stories is just so awesome and makes me realise just how connected we all are through Whitney's music.

Isn't it amazing??? - I hope that Bobbi, Cissy, Gary, Michael, Dionne, Aunt Baye and nem' take to this board and read all the things that we write and find comfort in them.

I also hope that some way some how Whitney is now able to feel all the love that people have for her.
Posted Image

#34 smann87

• 6,423 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

I feel bad because I like others took a break from posting on the BBS...I always checked in and looked at everyone posting but noticeably wrote less when I was finishing my undergrad at UF but when I Look to You came out I came back for a bit...because I was so excited! My name is Sean....turning 25 at the end of the month and I first started posting back in 2000. It's so hard to believe over a decade has passed! I will always remember sharing moments with everyone here about the MLIYL/TGH era up until sharing memories right now. I moved to DC from Florida a few years ago but I'm glad to always have things like this BBS that will always be in one place :)

I was torn a few days ago thinking of my favorite album....I realized I think MLIYL is her most cohesive but you can't beat classic Whitney from those first two albums - plus TBG....but Aaron Neville and company kill the LP vibe LOL!

My favorite songs over the past few years as far as album cuts are Salute (LOVE IT!) and IDKMOS...I was actually listening to the ILTY album while cleaning my closet around two days before Whitney died and realized how much I had an emotional connection with her later work.

It definitely has been great to see old friends...and to also meet new ones though under tragic circumstances. At least everyone is here for each other.

Sean
Posted Image

#35 ThierryValentijn

• 82 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

Mind Speaker,
thanx for starting this wonderfull topic.

And to all the writers and readers,
thanx for sharing your love.

My name is (not Susan..) is Thierry Farla, 39 years old, living in the Netherlands.
I'm a whitneyfan eversince I heard All at once for the first time. I was 12 years old and playing with my Lego when I was captured by an angelic voice on the TV. When I looked up, I was captured by this beautifull young lady. That voice, that face, that smile. Whitney Houston. Since then, she's been part of my live. My brother (30 years old) remembers me singing I wanna dance, every night before we went to sleep. He still imitates me, imitating Whitneys laughter.. :D

In 1989 I wished that Arista would releas just one more LP (!) of Whitney. Then I would be satisfied having 3 albums of this great singer.. I was tired of waiting 2 years for getting new Whitneymaterial. And by that time I had the feeling that I was the only Whitneyfan left. I kept Whitney all for myself. I could easily stare hours and hours at her face of the first Whitneyalbum. I wanted to be as pretty and elegant as she was (is). She inspired me to be the best, every day and give Nothing but love.

In 1994 I sung One moment in time in front of all my classmates. I was shakey and couldn't sing the last part well, but the wonderfull experience was that the whole class sung with me and helped me thru the song.

When Whitney 'lost' her voice (somewhere around 1994) the media really turned down on her and I sort of felt 'her pain'. I remember that people were so rude and gossiping about good girl gone bad. I loved her anyway and wished for her to have a peacefull familylife. To my surprise she didn't retire and came 'back' with the fantastic GospelCD The Preachers Wife. Including one of my favorites I love the Lord. I loved her even more.

When My love is your Love was a big hit, I met my husband. That's 13 years ago. We are married in 2008, but I always told him that Whitney is my wife. He accepted that. He helped me to be member of this website.

I sing her songs everyday, even just a few lines. And that brightens my day. I have my drawing of her and a poem (in Dutch). Yeah I have got sweet memories of Whitney. She was and will always be part of my life. I sometimes imagened how I would feel like when one day I would hear news about her passing. I couldn't believe it would be too soon.. Well, she's in a better place now. And we will state her legacy thru this website. Therefore, a special shout-out to you Lisa. And of course all of you who contributed to this board. You are loved.

#36 Terrence

C.O.O. & Founder Of Ford Illustra (FI) Productions

• 31,604 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

View PostMr Jace, on 07 March 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

I've also met some other cool people here fantastic people, like the ORIGINAL Jace (who no longer posts here. I really miss him.), Eboni, Lee, Eric, Terrence, TeJay06, Zolas, John-John, Karan, PHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL (LOL!!), Liz, and a good number of others!!

I met him last year totally at random. Some friends of mine planned a weekend trip to Atlanta. We opened it up for more people to join us. Another friends asked could he invite some of his extended friends. No problem. So we all arrived to ATL and one of these extended friends was named Jason, but says alot of people call him Jace. I thought nothing of it. The conversation eventually turned to Whitney and I was like wow, this is ironic. You are the third Jace I know who loves Whitney! He sayd I was thinking the same thing, I know another Terrence who loves Whitney as well. Ya'll kinda favor each other. He mentions Whitney-fan and we both fell out! SHUUUUUUUUUUUT UP!!! LOL! He's a **REALLY** cool dude! I believe he lives in Philly now.

Posted Image

FI Throwback...

#37 Terrence

C.O.O. & Founder Of Ford Illustra (FI) Productions

• 31,604 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

View PostTejay06, on 08 March 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

Ok, my turn.

Hey Y'all... I'm Terrence. However, on here I go by TJ, because there is another TERRENCE who stole my shine. (Actually, I never had it. :rolleyes: ) Anyhoo
Thanks to TERRENCE - I posted on here before I became an actual member circa 2003 or 2004. I stopped posting a while back, but I never stopped visiting - so I won't call it a comeback - I've be here for years! I also got to meet some of ya'll while in D.C. for the Presidential Inauguration. (Can we get someone to post a picture please. Thanks, love)

LOL!! ::Whitney voice:: And I love ya back!

Let me look through my old computer files. I should still have the pics.

Posted Image

FI Throwback...

#38 clemsonfight

GO TIGERS!

• 7,559 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

Hey, I'm Clemsonfight, aka Clemmy, aka Zach :P I'm that possibly kinda annoying guy from SC. I actually became a Whitney fan a lot later than many of you, as I started listening to her music after Just Whitney came out nearly a decade ago. And I guess because it was my first and despite what some fans think, THAT album has really stuck with me over the years. Going through drama with my parents not accepting me as gay and telling me I'd never succeed, I listened to "Try It On My Own" and it really helped bring me some kind of peace on the entire thing. Of course I listened to the rest of her music too, and in 2006 I found this place on a Google search and well...I've never been sane since :P

Anyway, welcome to anyone new. I was there once but I really felt welcome here. This place really is like a family once you get to know everyone. And to anyone on here who I've ever wronged or made angry back when I was a lot more immature, I just wanna sincerely apologize.

So anyway, I know the last month has been tough on all of us so... cheese biscuits for everyone!!

Posted Image

Edited by clemsonfight, 08 March 2012 - 09:25 AM.

Posted Image
"The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

#39 truthspeaker06

• 2,450 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

View Postliz06, on 07 March 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

Eric you done made me cry

We are a family. A Whitney family. She brought us all together. Momma Whitney.

aww Liz :hug: it's ok.

We've been through some of the darkest moments of our lives together, we've shared laughs, tears, & moments of joy. It is my hope that one day all of us or most of us can together under one roof & just be the family that we are. I love you guys SO much.

View Postclemsonfight, on 08 March 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

Hey, I'm Clemsonfight, aka Clemmy, aka Zach :P I'm that possibly kinda annoying guy from SC. I actually became a Whitney fan a lot later than many of you, as I started listening to her music after Just Whitney came out nearly a decade ago. And I guess because it was my first and despite what some fans think, THAT album has really stuck with me over the years. Going through drama with my parents not accepting me as gay and telling me I'd never succeed, I listened to "Try It On My Own" and it really helped bring me some kind of peace on the entire thing. Of course I listened to the rest of her music too, and in 2006 I found this place on a Google search and well...I've never been sane since :P

Anyway, welcome to anyone new. I was there once but I really felt welcome here. This place really is like a family once you get to know everyone. And to anyone on here who I've ever wronged or made angry back when I was a lot more immature, I just wanna sincerely apologize.

So anyway, I know the last month has been tough on all of us so... cheese biscuits for everyone!!

Posted Image

YES LAAAAWD!!!! I'll take a basket *mouths* "Thank You Much"
Posted Image

Love is what we make it
We can make it something lovely
So don't desert me
Instead, learn to trust me
And love is what we make it
So let's make it, love

#40 Bison05

• 349 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

Hello my Whitney-Fan Family. It’s been a long time since I’ve posted, but I’ve been right here all the time. Laughing, crying, smiling, and remembering with you all. Lately I’ve wanted to post but just could not find the words to do so. It’s been tough. I’ve been a member of this board for 10 years, changed my account name in 06 b/c I couldn’t remember my password. This site has been an integral part of my life. Without it, and the members, I’d be lost in this wonderful world of Whitney. I thank everyone for that. I even meet Terrence on this site and we became friends. He has also been an important part of where I am in life right now (outside of Whitney). I owe it to Whitney. She has changed my life beyond measure and influenced me in many ways. Everyone around me knows “Don’t nobody talk about Ms. Houston. “ When the news hit of the tragedy we have all experienced, my first thoughts were of the members of this board and the board itself. I wondered, what’s going to happen to us? No more updates, fun stories to read, fights over which performance is the best? No more spoiler alerts? Well, it warms my heart and makes me so full to know, that it hasn’t stopped, we go on in the memory of. We are still standing and standing strong at that. I am thankful for this board and it has been wonderful to share and to know that there are people out there who love my Nippy as much as I do. I love you all.
Posted Image
"I know, that when you look at me
there`s so much that you just don't see,
but if you would only take the time,
I know in my heart you'd find
Oh! a man who's scared sometimes,
who isn't always strong."

#41 buddha

• 5,998 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

Hello, I'm buddha. I'm from Finland and buddha is not my real name and I'm not buddhist also I'm 100 years old and a really strange person but I'm not

Great singers and musicians, like really great, not just excellent, draw me like a magnet. Because I love music. It's doesn't get better than Whitney so that's why I'm here. First and foremost I love her voice especially live but gradually she has become something like a muse in my life as well. I have been a fan since 2007
Posted Image

#42 Deborah Arleen Fraser

• 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Hi Folks,
My name is Deborah from Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean.Actually my country is located near the South American country of Venezuela.I have been an avid Whitney Houston fan from the time she became known to the world.I can tell you that on my numerous travels in the 80's on the continent of Europe Whitney's voice was just vibrating every where.Every pen pal I had all had Whitney's hits.To be honest her passing has affected me a great deal since her music was a reflection of my youth my days of Wonderlust throughout Europe and at times in my difficult moments.Since her death Every day I play a list of her songs as a form of tribute to this great and talented woman who brought joy to the world and who has mentored many young women.We do not know how many she has touched and inspired worldwide but she sure did made a difference, she never forgot the Lord and I am very happy for this.She needed him the most because her job of entertaining the world was not easy.

Just think how many of us become fustrated in our working environment and in our pursuit of education.Whitney did not only have the USA on her shoulders but she had the world who were very demanding and very unforgiving.The voice is a very delicate instrument and the body of the artiste much more so.I have viewed her concerts on Youtube and everyone she is perspiring perfusely.That my friends is the intensity and energy that is coming from the very pores of her body.It is the very life that is coming out of Whitney she was very serious on her mission to give her all, she never held back. We pay the ticket to see her she payed the ultimate price of putting her very gift and the body that carried it on the line for all of us.She gave it all and she give every inch of her being to the world.
We often destroy the one that we love the most.All her choice of music was the love she wanted to extend to all and sundry, and she gave and loved us all unconditionally although she did not know us by name but she was intuned to us never the less.

I pray for her family to give them strength and ever more so for her daughter.Her first birthday without her mom is beyond painful, especially when her mother loved her so unconditionally and she her mother.I feel the pain for this child and yes she is just a child.But one thing Kristina is aware of that her mom truely adored and loved her.
So the most we can do is to keep Whitney's voice and talent alive and always carry her in our hearts because she was truely a kind and loving person to us all.I will never forget her.She was a gift and still a gift to the world.

Rest in peace Whitney you gave us all your love.

#43 Cantor

• 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

View PostDeborah Arleen Fraser, on 08 March 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

Hi Folks,
My name is Deborah from Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean.Actually my country is located near the South American country of Venezuela.I have been an avid Whitney Houston fan from the time she became known to the world.

Shout out to another Trini (via Canada)!

Posted Image

Go in peace, God be with you.

Go in peace, be at rest with the saints and the angels.

Now you are free.

Go in peace.

#44 ZuZy

• 837 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

Hi, I'm ZuZy, some may know me as 'ZuZer' but that has been a while back '98 '99?? I'm not sure.. It was one of the first websites I entered (together with the Fugees site - oooh good times) when we installed internet at my parents. Those were the days with a ticker and my dad used to drag me from behind the Whitney-fan, always fighting.
I'm from Amsterdam studied Psychology and just recently switched to Graphic Design, cus that's where my heart is <3 I used to post here from '98 til around 2003?? again not sure.. I have come back once in a very long while though..

I've been a fan ever since I first saw the I Will Always Love You video, it just mesmerized me. I just turned 11 autumn '92. Before that I wasn't really that interested in music (my parents only played classical music and instrumental jazz) but ever since I dove into Whitney's catalogue I couldn't imagine a life without music in it. So not only in love with this beautiful voice and all the things she could do with it, but she also opened me up to music in general... really music is my life can't live without it. In some of her songs I put so much emotion and personal meaning it's still hard to listen to.. I'm so gratefull I was born with nippy-ears (I call 'em nippy-ears :lol:), I think everyone here has them :) none of my friends or family have them though. When I was younger I could not understand how one could not feel the way I felt when I heard her sing.. it was just the perfect sound.. but that's because they don't have nippy-ears!!
I was so jealous at my 6th grade teacher (I think just one of her ears were nippy-esque ;)) when she went to see Whitney live in '93 - but it never occured to me that I could go to concerts.. Years later I was so fortunate to see her live in '99 (Rotterdam, the Netherlands) during the MLIYL tour.

I cherish the moments I drowned in het songs, especially her live performances.. It got me through some tough times and made me smile when I needed some laughter. She was something else, something so special. It still feels strange to realize what happened and that it's real... Never thought I would feel like this, as 'just a fan'..

#45 Zolas

• 4,294 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

Nice to read so many posts in here... Even got to know some new stuff about some vets that I've known for years...

So, I'm Zolas, or Bart if you will. 29 y/o and from the most post-modern nation in the world: The Netherlands. I became a fan after TBG. I had the songs on cassette and played them over and over. Later, my parents bought me and my sister a cd player and my sis bought the first two albums so I enjoyed them with her. I remember seeing the South Africa concert on tv and I was just mesmerized by this beautiful woman with her beautiful voice and her beautiful gowns. I think I really became a fan that day. My first cd single was Exhale (shoop shoop) and every release since was a highlight. I have memories of buying all the new releases (except JW, don't exactly remember that one. Might have bought it online).

The WTE soundtrack, I bought on a cold day, in the town where I went to high school. I put it in my coat pocket and when I got home the cd was all cold. Don't know why I remember but I do. Loved the pics of Whitney in the booklet. TPW, I bought it at the same store and I remember being in the car with my dad when he drove us home. I told him about it and I was very excited. Loved the hologram cd cover. My mom was surprised I bought a gospel cd hehe. MLIYL... I will never forget it, bought it on the day I lost my innocence, lol! Oh Yes!!
I listened to TGH in the store and nearly reached a climax when I played the INRBIO Thunderpuss mix... how awesome is that one!? I was on a holiday when ILTY was released. In Germany and I forced my family to go to a record store with me and I took some time for myself that night...

In 1999 and 2010 I've seen Whitney live in concert and I loved, loved, loved it. I've been to a gazillion concerts but few can compare!!

I have been visiting this site since 1998 or 1999, which makes it the one website that I've been visiting the longest. News, mail, they all changed or disappeared but WF has continued to been there. I posted in the early 2000s but left for a few years and came back in 2007 or 08 and haven't gone since. Back in the day I already met some great people here (Douglas, wonder where he's gone) and later "Little Richard" (WhitneysBodyguard). Lovely huys. And luckily most of them are still active here :D And many of you have supported me and my family in times of struggle, for which I'll be forever grateful!

Next to Whitney I love MANY other artists, but the love for them isn't quite the same, even though it might be deep or big. I'm talking about Alanis Morissette, Diana Ross, DC3, Björk, Annie Lennox, Vonda Shepard, Antony & The Johnsons, Brandy, JHud, Janet, Kate Bush, Madonna, to name a few...

I love buying actual dvds, cds and sometimes vinyl. There's nothing like it!

Last but not least I will share a secret... I wish that for one night only I could be Whitney and perform for a big crowd, wear fabulous gowns and sing my heart out! But please, don't tell anybody ;)

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users