OT: Introduce Yourself! Newbies and Vets alike!

67 replies to this topic

#1 Mind Speaker

A Proud Member of the Nippy Trinity

• 9,754 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

Due to the series of unfortunate events that occurred over a month ago (wow, that feels so weird to even type!!!), we've seen our family here grow!

There are many who said they read the board for years and just joined too late, or those who joined but never posted. Either way, even if you're not a newbie, introduce yourself so we can all get to know each other. I'll start:

I'm Mind Speaker (aka Larry) and I co-moderate this forum with Terrence and Lisa. I've been around WF since 1999 and the family here has jokingly taken to calling me "Clive" because I collect Whitney footage like there's no tomorrow (don't worry, you'll have access to all of it as it will be on the new Whitney-Fan.com once it relaunches). I was also deemed by Eboni as one of the 3 members of the Nippy Trinity--a group of Whitney fans so driven on facts, dates, tidbits, history, and footage that between us 3, there isn't a Whitney question we can't answer. The other two members are my bestie Mr. Jace and the KING of the Trinity Lee (laprimadiva).

As a moderator, part of my job is reading every post (I read MUCH more than I post) and making sure we maintain a nice, healthy environment here. If you see a thread that you created disappear, it's likely I've moved it into another thread where a similar discussion is occurring.

Go head--introduce yourselves! I want to get to know the newest members of the WF family!

Posted Image

"When melodies are gone, in you I hear a song..."

Legend | ANGEL | Icon
Whitney.

(Banner Courtesy of Johnonippy)

#2 Cantor

• 51 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

Thanks for the encouraging, welcoming post, Larry.

I'm Karla-with-a-'K'. I joined the group after that "series of unfortunate events that occurred over a month ago", because I felt I had to connect in some way, to other fans. (The IMDb boards were a horrific, poor choice in that regard, let me tell you!)

Whitney Houston was the first 'famous' singer I loved. The 80s were such a different time, and I don't remember the first time I heard her voice, but it was most likely The Greatest Love of All. I wasn't really all that aware of her music videos or albums sold, or all the hoopla surrounding her meteoric rise to stardom; all I knew is that I loved hearing her sing. And I dreamed of being a singer just like her.

There was something so different about her, in my mind. She was never controversial or nasty or offensive, and I really appreciated that about her public persona.

My profile pic is partly an image of the ticket stub I kept from the first and only Whitney Houston concert I was able to attend. I also recently discovered that my city was only part of the leg of her Canadian world tour (I'm Your Baby Tonight) that she was able to complete. Folks out east didn't get to see her like folks out west did. I thank God for that - that my family settled where we did at the time we did. Her concert that May night in 1991 remains one of the biggest thrills of my childhood. Before that, I never imagined I'd get to see her live; never dreamed I'd hear her apart from recordings on a cassette tape. But see her and hear her I did.

No one else in my family is a Whitney Houston fan; this affection for her was all my own, so I wasn't unduly influenced by anyone around me to like her. I'm grateful I had her music growing up, because there were some difficult moments where popping a Whitney tape into my Walkman would help raise my spirits. Singing along (however badly) to her songs was often a comfort.

Knowing that we don't have her physically present anymore is indeed sad, but I'm glad for the music and the memories.

Posted Image

Go in peace, God be with you.

Go in peace, be at rest with the saints and the angels.

Now you are free.

Go in peace.

#3 Steplejack

• 49 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

Im Steplejack you responded to a post I posted yesterday I want to introduce my self to all the members

#4 ILoveYouBack

Abu

• 232 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:53 AM

Hi guys,

What a wonderful welcome. There is so much to say about my Whitney fan-dom. Sometimes I wish I could just sit in a big room with other fans and talk about how and where it all began and what we've been through over the years in never, ever giving up on her. It seems easier than finding the time and space (and now the emotion) to write it all.

My name is Abu. I grew up in San Antonio, TX. I have lived in Chicago, though, for almost 16 years. I'm 39 y.o., so I was in middle school when Whitney's "Whitney Houston" came out. I remember my family and friends and cousins and...well...everybody wondering who this Whitney Houston person was. We all kept asking if she was Thelma Houston's daughter. I laugh at the thought now, because of course we know whose daughter she is. But back then, we were all asking, "Cissy who???"

I remember watching the Grammy's and that red dress and that long hair and that humble beautiful smile and how she tore it up even though you could tell she was a little nervous. I remember that dance Dionne did when she called Whitney's name and Julian Lennon just kind of standing there and that long, long, long side-to-side hug they shared. I was in 7th grade and I cried. Whitney from the very beginning captured the imagination of this little gay black boy from Texas...way before there was YouTube. Funny how the SSB video is being passed around like it's the discovery of a new planet. I might have said this already, buy I remember waiting weeks in anticipation for that game. It was and still is the only super bowl I've ever watched in its entirety. I spent the first half hoping she would do well and shut the haters up. I spend the second half in a glorious daze because she NAILED it. The most special thing about that January 27 in 1991 is that it was my 18th birthday. I will never forget it. The best birthday present I have ever received.

Anyway, I'm supposed to be takling about me, but it's hard because I can't stop thinking about her and her influence on me. I am a theatre actor in Chicago. I have supplemented my income as a communications manager, an administrative assistant, teacher, server, and many other jobs over the years. I'm in a relationship with a wonderful guy of 7 years and we just got "domestic partnered." Every single person who knows me well knows of my love for Whitney. I have no doubt that there are other fans who have been to more concerts and have more knowledge, but to my friends, I am that person they come to for all things Whitney. They are still checking in to see if I'm doing okay.

I thank the members of this board for keeping things sane over the years. I've been visiting since 2000. Reading. Agreeing. Disagreeing. Using information to prove others wrong. Learning new things I didn't know. In my mind, I was finally going to join and actually start commenting once Sparkle came out. That was going to be my time to introduce myself as your long lost brother. But current events hastened that introduction.

I am sad that her leaving is what finally made me join, but so happy to finally talk to you. No one. NO ONE in my life, no matter how much they know of my love for Whitney, seems to know what I (we) are going through.

I miss knowing she's out there. I would love to get together with some of the fans in the Chicago area and share memories and get to know one another. I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

Abu

#5 Sergio

• 234 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:29 AM

Hello. I've been a fan of Whitney Houston since 2005.

One night I was bored and just watching internet videos, and I came across Whitney singing "I Will Always Love You" at the 1994 World Music Awards. I became entranced. I continuously watched the performance over and over until the sun came up. Someone I knew commented, "You're still watching that?" I replied with an embarrassed smirk, "Yep." The performance made me a fan, and I was determined to hear every note Whitney Houston had ever sung. That voice was just...just...everything beautiful.

The following three years saw me listening to every album, bootleg concert, and TV performance. Then I delved deeper into the interviews, commercials, and news footage so I could hear even smallest tidbit of The Voice in action. I will admit that I wanted to watch BBB in hopes that Whitney would do some impromptu singing.

Then I joined three of her fan forums because I wanted to know more about her singing from people who had been fans longer and/or heard her live in person. I rarely post on her fan boards, but I visit them everyday. I also Youtube her name everyday to see if I am missing anything new.

I like to thank fellow fans for shedding more light on Whitney for me and sharing their Whitney love. I thank Whitney for sharing her voice with us. :)
Posted Image

#6 Mind Speaker

• 9,754 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

Karla, Steplejack, Abu -- thank you for your stories and sharing a bit of yourselves with us. You're very welcome here!!!

Sergio - I never knew your story! Ain't it shocking what her voice can do?

Posted Image

Legend | ANGEL | Icon
Whitney.

#7 NippyFanNy779

• 8,802 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

Nice Idea,

Hello all I'm NippyFanNy779, as the story goes I've been a Whitney fan since I was 3, apparently as a child cartoons were the only thing on the television that held my attention but the family was watching Merv Griffin and this girl came on and sang and I stopped in my tracks and was glued to the TV (only Whitney could mesmerize a 3 yrs old), its been a wrap since then.

I have had all of her albums multiple times, my grandfather would buy me all the magazines (sadly even the N.E) if it had her face on it. A punishment in my house was not letting me stay up to see a late night talk show that Whitney was going to be on, needless to say I was a well behaved kid because of her.

Time went on and I discovered WF, I didn't join because I had never joined anything like that before it was foreign to me. However after years of lurking to the point that I felt like I knew half the members already I finally joined in 2006 and became not only a member but a part of the greatest Whitney Family around.

I first saw Whitney perform live at GMA 2009, Earlier that year I stood in the freezing cold and saw her outside of the Warner theater with my brother Terrence and we were frozen to the bone, Whitney saw us standing there waving and when someone in the car went to turn the light out she stopped them and kept smiling and waving ...I just knew that was the greatest moment of my life... but the next year when Whitney was honored I was in the theater sitting right down the row from her.

Looking back I can't believe I can actually say I was there the last time Whitney was Honored

Whitney's passing has been a deep and painful loss, like that of a close family member, and without my Whitney Family I just wouldn't have made it thru these people mean more to me than they will ever know.

Posted Image

Was my life not enough of a cautionary tale for you?

#8 Mind Speaker

• 9,754 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

View PostNippyFanNy779, on 07 March 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

Nice Idea,

Hello all I'm NippyFanNy779, as the story goes I've been a Whitney fan since I was 3, apparently as a child cartoons were the only thing on the television that held my attention but the family was watching Merv Griffin and this girl came on and sang and I stopped in my tracks and was glued to the TV (only Whitney could mesmerize a 3 yrs old),

Two peas in a pod we are! I was about the same age when HWIK did the SAME thing to me!!! As the story goes, I'd sing, "I wish I had a lemon now, uh huh" instead of "I wish I had him near me now, uh huh" and I'd always ask my mom why she was wishing for a lemon!

Posted Image

Legend | ANGEL | Icon
Whitney.

#9 ryww

• 35 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

Awesome idea!!! Hi, I'm Ryan, 26 years old and have been a Whitney fan for about 16 years. My first memories are my mother getting "The Bodyguard" and "Waiting to Exhale" on VHS, that was my very first introduction at about 10 years old. There were the couple of songs "I Always Love You" and "Shoop" from those moovies that I really liked.

I grew up on country music (considering I grew up in a small town in New Brunswick-Canada) so there wasn't really any other kind of music for me to listen to. My very first memory of wanting to listen to Whitney and trying my best to find that one cd, is actually my favorite memory that I have of her. I had just finished grade 7, and I was going to be visiting my sister in Toronto, Canada for the summer. ( At this point I never even seen a music video, let alone listen to really any other kind of music except for country) I remember one day turning on the tv (I never grew up with cable either) and finding a channel called "BET" which I never even knew about. That day I say my very first music video and was so amazed at what I was hearing (It's Not Right But It's Ok). From that day one for the rest of my trip, I watched that channel everyday hoping that I would see that video again. I remember going home and asking my mom if I can order some Cd's (she was apart of something called "Columbia House") she said yes, and I ordered all of the Whitney Houston Cd's I could find in the catalog. I ended up getting her first three Cd's. The day that I played them in my room, I realized that none of them had the song that I heard in Toronto, I was so upset and at that point I didn't like any of them. I figured since my mom let me order them that I should at least give them a try. I discovered the album "I'm Your Baby Tonight" and quickly became obsessed with the Cd. I would play it constantly in my room thinking that I was some great singer or something, and "My Name Is Not Susan" became my song.

Finally for Christmas that Year I got the "My Love Is Your Love" Cd. It was my favorite gift, and by that night I already knew the words too most of the songs. I even remember calling some of my friends and playing them songs because I was so excited. After that point I became such a huge Whitney fan. It got to the point that people in my family and friends would actually make fun of me.

Then of course, all of the stuff started coming out that she was doing this and that, and everytime someone would say something about it, I always stood up for her and always tried to have her back. Whitney has helped me through so many things, like last year when I lost my grandmother I kept listening to "I Look To You" and it helped give me peace because I was not able to go to the funeral and was just suffering so bad from it, but when I listened to that song it was like I was seeing her again.

I have always stood behind Whitney, her music, her movies, her performances, and her as a person, and I will continue to do so as long as I am around.

Ryan

#10 Terrence

C.O.O. & Founder Of Ford Illustra (FI) Productions

• 31,610 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

Greetings everyone. My name is Terrence and as Larry mentioned in the opening post I along with he and Lisa work as a co-moderator here on this WONDERFUL site. Like Larry I also read just about everything and make sure things are flowing normally and eliminating any kinks as soon as they start to rise.

My Whitney fanhood began at an early age. I’ve told this story time and ti me again but hey, I’ll tell it again. I live in Maryland now but I’m originally from NY. My home church pastor in NY used to be a youth pastor at New Hope Baptist Church while Whitney was growing up. He was present at the service while Whitney gave her first solo. I’ve met Cissy several times, and sang in the combined choir at New Hope on a few occasions under her direction when our church partnered with them to celebrate church and choir anniversaries. I can’t sing to save my life, but hey, I was in there singing my face off when I needed to be. LOL To this day I still say I saw Whitney there from a distance but my mom still swears it wasn’t her. We go back and forth about that all the time. Lol

My mom and another aunt were big Whitney fans in the 80’s so I grew up listening to her music. My personal Whitney love developed during the height of the I’m Your Baby Tonight era and of course exploded during the following Bodyguard years. I joined this site my freshman year of college in 1998 and it’s only worked to magnify my Whitney obsession. My first time, and sadly only time seeing Whitney perform live was with members of this Whitney family for her 2002 Good Morning America performance to promote Just Whitney. I had the opportunity to see her again with my sister Kisha (NippyFanNy779) in DC in 2009 as she was leaving the Warner Theater to honor Tyler Perry for the BET Honors. We braved the bitter cold standing in an alley to see her drive past, smile and wave HUGELY at us. Then the next year as she said in her post we were in the theater watching her being honored for what will be the last time in her life.

This site has done more than just kept me connected to Whitney. It’s giving me people I know and love. I don’t even look at ya’ll as mere friends. I see ya’ll as an actual family; A Whitney family; people who have been with me through most of my life’s major events. I even met my current partner here. He used to post here back in the day, noticed my picture and sent me a friend request on Facebook. We’re about to celebrate our three year anniversary next month. All in the love and name of Whitney!

Edited by Terrence, 07 March 2012 - 11:17 AM.

Posted Image

FI Throwback...

#11 remamamama

• 3,261 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

Hi everyone, my name is actually Andy, 21 years old, Whitney fan since 15 years old.

Some of you may want to know why I'm called remamamama, well it's actually totally by accident. When I decided to become a member on WF, I just created a name randomly because I never knew I would become such a dedicated fan. I was watching "And I Am Telling You" medley on youtube, and it just happened that Reba McEntire was introducing Whitney, so I took "reba" from her name, but by mistake I thought she was called Rema, hence Remamamama. LOL Random right?

I've been listening to Whitney's song as a child when my mother used to play GLOA, IWALY, SAMLFY in the car. I rediscovered her music when Youtube was launched in 2006. The first video that I saw was INRBIO (Thunderpuss Remix). I was mesmerized. And then of course I started to learn more about her through her live performances - WMA 1994, AMA 1994, Grammy 1994. I began to check out her old albums, starting with The Bodyguard, her debut album and Whitney. That was how I rediscovered the songs that I used to listen to as a child. Strangely, it was the IBIYAM/IWALY performance in 2004 that turned me into a fan. She didn't have the best vocals, but I have never seen any performance quite like that. Never have I seen someone with such power, strength, charisma and stage presence quite like her.

Then I began to listen to her gospel album & WTE. It took me a while to enjoy IYBT and JW. The first album I bought was Whitney: The Greatest Hits.

I think I began to visit Whitney-fan.com some time before Fashion Rocks 2007, and the first time I actually stayed up at night for a Whitney live performance was Live & Loud in December 2007. It gave me so much hope because it was her "comeback" performance at that time. I still remember the first video that got uploaded onto youtube was Heartbreak Hotel. She sounded different, but still powerful. IWALY was probably the last great performance of that song.

I officially became a member here some time after her concert in Morocco. I would get into fights with lambs online. And who could forget that crazy MJB fan lunatic who had 10000 youtube accounts? I've been here through the good and bad, but even when she had bad performances like Trinidad and Tobago, I would find myself humming to the notes - I've listened to IWALY from T&T so many times I can actually still picture it in my head (And IIII-IIIiii-IIIIiiiIIiiiIIIIIeeIIIIII will always...will always, luuuv you)

Whitney was the singer who introduced me to music - soul, R&B, pop, gospel. For 6 years, I've spent so much time into Whitney, following her news, watching her videos, listening to her music, visiting WF/CW, staying up at night to wait for her live performances to pop up on youtube, etc. Sometimes I just wonder (especially after since she passed away) would I be happier if I didn't become such a fan? Would I feel less miserable if I didn't get so emotionally attached to her? But I realized that I wouldn't be the same person I am today if it wasn't Whitney. I became stronger, more hopeful, more optimistic because of her music.

Unlike most of you here, I've only been a fan for 6 years. But these 6 years (especially the last three years) have changed my life forever. It was definitely worth it. I honestly don't know what lies ahead, but I will always cherish the great memories during these 6 years where she became not just an idol but a part of me.

Posted Image

#12 liz06

• 3,766 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

Hello to all the new members and senior members.

I'm Liz, 23 years old, live in Michigan and in college working towards my bachelors degree. My family owns and I live above a restaurant and ice cream shop, so my life is very crazy but Whitney, and Whitney-Fan have kept me sane.

I grew up in a small town, was a pretty sheltered kid, parents listened to music from the 50's and 60's a lot. I heard Elvis as a kid and loved him. The more I learned about him I learnd that one of his female background groups was The Sweet Inspirations founded by Cissy Houston. I learned about her and realized her daughter was Whitney Houston then it *clicked*. Then I realized she sang IWDWS, HWIK, IWALY, did TBG. I had already knew those songs and the words but didnt really know who it was. Until then. And ever since, I've been a die-hard fan (or as a kid I called it H.O.W. Hooked on Whitney). I tried to listen to her as much as I could, I used to watch her music videos on TV and found out when there would be re-runs so I could watch them again. My parents were really conservative so I never got to watch TBG or WTE when they were around so I had to sneak it, and I did, and loved her even more after watching her movies.

The problem was, we didn't have a computer. We had a TV, a radio, and our imagination. Even going through middle school we didn't have a computer. So at school in computer class I would pick the back row/corner and do my work as fast as I could and I would "search the web" for Whitney stuff and computer class turned out to be my favorite class. We finally got a computer and with 6 kids we all had to take turns but my turn was always Whitney, but my parents didnt like it so I would play some Elvis music or The Supremes and make it sound like I was watching them but I wasnt.

I found Whitney-fan and read it like it was my Job! I visited it every day. I learned most of what I know from this site. There's no telling how much sleep I lost because of this site. But I didn't know how to do any of this posting stuff, like NippyFanNY779 mentioned, it was foreign to me. So I just read it for years. In 2009 I bought a laptop and finally joined. I thought I had known the members just becuase of reading about them for so long, I felt like a creeper. I was afraid that because I was new I wouldn't be "accepted" like everyone else was and let me tell you, I couldn't have been more wrong! These people took me in! They took me in as family, invited me to their table and more. I love these people. LOVE. I been here ever since and when times were hard they lifted me up and when times were good we celebrated together. And Whitney was always a part of it. I never stopped being a fan, even learning of her struggles and what not, I never let go. I was always fighting for her, and I always will.

#13 moonbeam725

• 33 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

I'm Julie, I'm 43 and live in Ohio. I'm happy to be here among other Whitney fans. I have been a Whitney fan for around 26 years. I live with my husband and our dog. We don't have kids (by choice!). Having kids was something I put off for years and years.....it was never a priority. Our dog became like our child and the thought of the dog not getting along with the child and us having to find a new home for our dog made me physically ill - so that was it - no kids for us. There are a lot of people who can't understand that logic - but that's how it is.

I am also a Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac fan (for 35 years) as much as I am a Whitney fan. Stevie was addicted to drugs for years (cocaine and then years after she kicked that addiction she was addicted to prescription drugs) and I had always thought about how I would handle it if she died young from some sort of overdose or prescription drug interaction. Little did I know that it would be Whitney to die young. I did not give much thought to Whitney dying young because I never really believed the prescription drug rumors.

I have "flashes" of Whitney memories....her songs blasting in all of my cars....discussing with my co-workers 20 years ago how beautiful she looked in the IWALY video...arguing with those who said Dolly Parton's IWALY version was better....etc. I do wish I had seen Being Bobby Brown but for whatever reason, had never even heard of it until these last few weeks.

I will be a fan forever and will always love Whitney deeply. Thank God I still have her music.

#14 lbw0046

• 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

Hi everyone!!! I'm Lauren, 22 years old from Texas :)
I was actually looking for a live performance of Run To You (later i found there's no video of one) when I found this forum a few days ago. Everyone seems so nice and polite, I knew this would be a great place to join and remember Whitney.

I've been a Whitney fan ever since I can remember really. I grew up knowing her music and was completely obsessed with the Bodyguard when I was little (still am). A many number of AIM statuses in middle school were made with Whitney lyrics in them lol.

Like all of you I was absolutely shocked and devastated by her death. I just always imagined Whitney growing old and accepting lifetime achievement awards left and right. I'm happy to know this forum exists and we all can work to remember her for the important things, THAT VOICE and her amazing legacy. <3

Edited by lbw0046, 07 March 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#15 NippyFanNy779

• 8,802 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

View PostMind Speaker, on 07 March 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

View PostNippyFanNy779, on 07 March 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

Nice Idea,

Hello all I'm NippyFanNy779, as the story goes I've been a Whitney fan since I was 3, apparently as a child cartoons were the only thing on the television that held my attention but the family was watching Merv Griffin and this girl came on and sang and I stopped in my tracks and was glued to the TV (only Whitney could mesmerize a 3 yrs old),

Two peas in a pod we are! I was about the same age when HWIK did the SAME thing to me!!! As the story goes, I'd sing, "I wish I had a lemon now, uh huh" instead of "I wish I had him near me now, uh huh" and I'd always ask my mom why she was wishing for a lemon!

We were predisposed to the greatness of Whitney!

Posted Image

Was my life not enough of a cautionary tale for you?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users