• 3,201 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

Sorry Mary J Blige, don't you attempt IWALY lol

Jessica Sanchez - I Will Always Love You

Hollie Cavanagh - All The Man That I Need

Skylar Laine - Where Do Broken Hearts Go

Shannon Magrane - I Have Nothing

Elise Testone - I'm Your Baby Tonight - American Idol 2012

Shows you why having a good/OK voice is not enough. Not even professional singers can do Whitney justice. Only Whitney can do her songs justice. Once Whitney touched something it turns into gold, and no one could ever touch it again.

Posted Image

#32 remamamama

• 3,201 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

Erika Van Pelt‏ - I Believe In You & Me

Overall I think the show was a great tribute. But why didn't they let the boys sing Whitney's songs? I was hoping to hear something different. Robin Thicke's Exhale was the perfect example that male singers can do her songs justice, and that Whitney influences all singers, regardless of gender.

Posted Image

#33 love4whit

• 657 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

View Postremamamama, on 08 March 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

Sorry Mary J Blige, don't you attempt IWALY lol Jessica Sanchez - I Will Always Love You Hollie Cavanagh - All The Man That I Need Skylar Laine - Where Do Broken Hearts Go Shannon Magrane - I Have Nothing Elise Testone - I'm Your Baby Tonight - American Idol 2012 Shows you why having a good/OK voice is not enough. Not even professional singers can do Whitney justice. Only Whitney can do her songs justice. Once Whitney touched something it turns into gold, and no one could ever touch it again.

Lol...yeah, cracked me up seeing Mary try to sing the songs. She gave some good advice...but no Whitney. Haha.

Did they do any sort of montage or anything as a tribute or was it just the covers? I think something would have been nice.

Oh, and I was just at the gym...saw that Whitney's hairstylist (in the room when they were working on her) will be on the Today Show tomorrow :crying:

#34 Terrence

C.O.O. & Founder Of Ford Illustra (FI) Productions

• 31,604 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

Somewhere on the north side of Heaven, Whitney asked Jesus to turn the TV off last night...

Posted Image

FI Throwback...

#35 Tiger

THE Tiger!

• 7,812 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

View PostTerrence, on 08 March 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

Somewhere on the north side of Heaven, Whitney asked Jesus to turn the TV off last night...
This! ^^^^

Maybe I am bias (well I am), but to be honest guys, I thought the performances ranged from AWFUL (I have nothing... no words) to MEDIOCORE (I Believe In You & Me, I'm Your Baby (What happened to the energy?), All The Man) to ok (Where Do Broken Hearts Go). My favorite was I Will Always Love you which was decent, but I wonder if it sounded better than it actually was due to the hour long butchering of other songs.... You know things are relative...
Posted Image

"My finest day... is yet unknown..."

"Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary" -Mahatma Gandhi

#36 moonbeam725

• 33 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

View Postlove4whit, on 08 March 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

71'] Did they do any sort of montage or anything as a tribute or was it just the covers? I think something would have been nice.

They didn't really mention Whitney other than for Ryan Seacrest to say something along the lines of "Tonight the girls will be honoring the late, great Whitney Houston"....there was no montage of Whitney clips, no tribute to her, no NOTHING. During the songs, while they were singing, the screens showed generic colors and patterns...no Whitney video or anything. It was Whitney-less except for the songs they sang. The judges did say things like "you can't sing it like Whitney sang it, you have to sing it how YOU sing it"...there were a few things like that to say "Whitney's voice can't be emulated" but overall it was a half-hearted tribute to Whitney and I wish they wouldn't have even done it since they didn't use any of her images. I would have liked to have seen a video montage and clips of her saying something or SOMETHING...ANYTHING. They had to get permission to use her songs to begin with so why didn't they get permission to use clips of her videos, etc. in order to do it up right.

#37 liz06

• 3,766 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

I'm not watching them, no good in it for me.

#38 truthspeaker06

• 2,450 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostTerrence, on 08 March 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

LMAO!!!! :roflmao:
Posted Image

Love is what we make it
We can make it something lovely
So don't desert me
Instead, learn to trust me
And love is what we make it
So let's make it, love

#39 sinderella

• 3,415 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

I think any tribute to Whitney should involve a fashion show, some miming, lip-synching, some poems, recitals, flowers, etc. Lawd have mercy! And since when did Mary know about the technicalities of singing? :rolleyes:
Posted Image

Why fall in love when you can fall into chocolate.......

#40 KSL415

• 289 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

View Postmoonbeam725, on 08 March 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

View Postlove4whit, on 08 March 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

71'] Did they do any sort of montage or anything as a tribute or was it just the covers? I think something would have been nice.

They didn't really mention Whitney other than for Ryan Seacrest to say something along the lines of "Tonight the girls will be honoring the late, great Whitney Houston"....there was no montage of Whitney clips, no tribute to her, no NOTHING. During the songs, while they were singing, the screens showed generic colors and patterns...no Whitney video or anything. It was Whitney-less except for the songs they sang. The judges did say things like "you can't sing it like Whitney sang it, you have to sing it how YOU sing it"...there were a few things like that to say "Whitney's voice can't be emulated" but overall it was a half-hearted tribute to Whitney and I wish they wouldn't have even done it since they didn't use any of her images. I would have liked to have seen a video montage and clips of her saying something or SOMETHING...ANYTHING. They had to get permission to use her songs to begin with so why didn't they get permission to use clips of her videos, etc. in order to do it up right.

Completely agree, they should have shown at the very least a 2-3 min video of her career. The Whitney tribute was the only reason why I watched it last night.
I wonder if the Voice on NBC is going to do some type of tribute? I think Simon Cowell said X-Factor will definitely be doing sometype of tribute to her, but their show doesn't air till the fall I think.
Posted Image

#41 moonbeam725

• 33 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

Did everyone hear what Jimmy Iovine said about Whitney on tonight's American Idol? He said "God mass produces billions of people, too many in my opinion, but in the case of Whitney Houston, he stopped and made one by hand."

Word. :thumbup:

#42 atang245

• 41 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

i think i can become a singer now after watching this...all I have do is yell at the top of my lungs and try to hold it as long as i can. i will get those applauses and become famous.

#43 moonbeam725

• 33 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

View Postmoonbeam725, on 08 March 2012 - 10:05 PM, said:

Did everyone hear what Jimmy Iovine said about Whitney on tonight's American Idol? He said "God mass produces billions of people, too many in my opinion, but in the case of Whitney Houston, he stopped and made one by hand."

Word. :thumbup:

I left the last part off when I quoted this last night. Jimmy Iovine said this: "God mass produces billions of people, too many in my opinion, but in the case of Whitney Houston, he stopped and made one by hand. She was an extraordinary human being." I backed that up and listened to that about five times. THAT made watching last night's results show worth watching. Makes me wonder if Jimmy realized they really hadn't done much of a tribute to Whitney and wanted to say something like that.

#44 remamamama

• 3,201 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

View Postmoonbeam725, on 09 March 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

View Postmoonbeam725, on 08 March 2012 - 10:05 PM, said:

Did everyone hear what Jimmy Iovine said about Whitney on tonight's American Idol? He said "God mass produces billions of people, too many in my opinion, but in the case of Whitney Houston, he stopped and made one by hand." Word. :thumbup:
I left the last part off when I quoted this last night. Jimmy Iovine said this: "God mass produces billions of people, too many in my opinion, but in the case of Whitney Houston, he stopped and made one by hand. She was an extraordinary human being." I backed that up and listened to that about five times. THAT made watching last night's results show worth watching. Makes me wonder if Jimmy realized they really hadn't done much of a tribute to Whitney and wanted to say something like that.

This definitely belongs to my favorite quotes about Whitney, "When Whitney opens her mouth to sing, she is the eighth wonder of the world" is another one.

Posted Image

#45 truthspeaker06

• 2,450 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

View Postsinderella, on 08 March 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

I think any tribute to Whitney should involve a fashion show, some miming, lip-synching, some poems, recitals, flowers, etc. Lawd have mercy! And since when did Mary know about the technicalities of singing? :rolleyes:

I was like MJB a vocal mentor? as in vocals for singing? songs? esp Whitney songs? don't you need to know what key & pitch is?
Posted Image

Love is what we make it
We can make it something lovely
So don't desert me
Instead, learn to trust me
And love is what we make it
So let's make it, love

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users