American Idol pays tribute to Whitney Houston

49 replies to this topic

#1 total23

• 528 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

http://blog.zap2it.c...-next-week.html

"American Idol" narrowed down its Top 25 semi-finalists to the Top 13 finalists Thursday night (March 1) in a marathon session of a results show that included so much useless chatter we almost couldn't stand it. But! Now we have a Top 13.

The Top 10 were revealed via America's vote - the five men and five women who got the most votes were put through automatically. They were: Phil Phillips, Jessica Sanchez, Hollie Cavanagh, Joshua Ledet, Heejun Han, Shannon Magrane, Skylar Laine, Colton Dixon, Jermaine Jones and Elise Testone.

We can't argue with many of those choices, though we do think Jen Hirsh, Hallie Day and Erika Van Pelt are all far better singers than Skylar Laine, but like we said last night - she's young, bubbly and country, so of course she got through.

The sing-for-your-life-ers were Jen Hirsh, Jeremy Rosado, Brielle Von Hugel, DeAndre Brackensick, Erika Van Pelt and Reed Grimm, which just goes to show once again the judges are kind of ridiculous. DeAndre, Jeremy and Brielle are not that good. In fact, both of those guys could've been replaced with any two out of Eben, Adam, Creighton or Aaron. Sure, Eben kinda blew it last night, but we've seen him be so good. Ridiculous.

At this point, we felt like the Wild Card spots should go to Jen, Erika and Reed. And the picks end up going to - wow. Randy picks Erika Van Pelt, but then J.Lo and Steven go completely insane and pick Jeremy Rosado and DeAndre Brackensick. Are they insane? It is unacceptable that Jen Hirsh is out.

Seacrest then announces that the songs next week are Stevie Wonder for the boys and Whitney Houston for the girls? Really? Whitney?! Are you freaking kidding with this? That is going to be a trainwreck.

Welcome to the Top 13, fans.

#2 Tejay06

• 858 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

With the exception of Jessica Sanchez, I hope the rest of those girls are singing "Whatchulookinat" - that's the ONLY Whitney song that they could think about pulling off. I know the boys are supposed to sing Stevie Wonder, but I would LOVE to hear Joshua Ledet take on a Whitney track. "He a fan, I know I know it." #family
Posted Image

#3 karan

Karan

• 1,842 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

Why Stevie Wonder for the guys?? Sounds like HALF a tribute...
#notimpressed
Posted Image

"To hear Houston going at full throttle with the 35 piece Georgia Mass Choir struggling to keep up is to realise what her phenomenal voice is made for."- USA Today

"..none of us would sound the same if Aretha Franklin hadn't ever put out a record, or Whitney Houston hadn't." - Mariah Carey

"No matter what they take from me, they can't take away MY DIGNITY..."

Gift! Gift! Gift! - Oprah Winfrey

#4 total23

• 528 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

IWALY, IHN,DWAHIA,SE,OMIT,ATMIN....Are The Songs They Need To Stay Away From! But As We've Watched American Idol Before, There Gonna Be Singing The Usual, IWALY, IHN, WYB, IBIYAM

#5 KSL415

• 289 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:35 AM

View PostTejay06, on 01 March 2012 - 11:11 PM, said:

With the exception of Jessica Sanchez, I hope the rest of those girls are singing "Whatchulookinat" - that's the ONLY Whitney song that they could think about pulling off. I know the boys are supposed to sing Stevie Wonder, but I would LOVE to hear Joshua Ledet take on a Whitney track. "He a fan, I know I know it." #family

Yessir!
Posted Image

#6 KSL415

• 289 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:37 AM

View Posttotal23, on 01 March 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

http://blog.zap2it.c...-next-week.html

"American Idol" narrowed down its Top 25 semi-finalists to the Top 13 finalists Thursday night (March 1) in a marathon session of a results show that included so much useless chatter we almost couldn't stand it. But! Now we have a Top 13.

The Top 10 were revealed via America's vote - the five men and five women who got the most votes were put through automatically. They were: Phil Phillips, Jessica Sanchez, Hollie Cavanagh, Joshua Ledet, Heejun Han, Shannon Magrane, Skylar Laine, Colton Dixon, Jermaine Jones and Elise Testone.

We can't argue with many of those choices, though we do think Jen Hirsh, Hallie Day and Erika Van Pelt are all far better singers than Skylar Laine, but like we said last night - she's young, bubbly and country, so of course she got through.

The sing-for-your-life-ers were Jen Hirsh, Jeremy Rosado, Brielle Von Hugel, DeAndre Brackensick, Erika Van Pelt and Reed Grimm, which just goes to show once again the judges are kind of ridiculous. DeAndre, Jeremy and Brielle are not that good. In fact, both of those guys could've been replaced with any two out of Eben, Adam, Creighton or Aaron. Sure, Eben kinda blew it last night, but we've seen him be so good. Ridiculous.

At this point, we felt like the Wild Card spots should go to Jen, Erika and Reed. And the picks end up going to - wow. Randy picks Erika Van Pelt, but then J.Lo and Steven go completely insane and pick Jeremy Rosado and DeAndre Brackensick. Are they insane? It is unacceptable that Jen Hirsh is out.

Seacrest then announces that the songs next week are Stevie Wonder for the boys and Whitney Houston for the girls? Really? Whitney?! Are you freaking kidding with this? That is going to be a trainwreck.

Welcome to the Top 13, fans.

Haven't been following much this season...but was able to catch Jessica Sanchez perform...Just glad to see that their paying respects to the Legend...let's just hope the contestants do her songs justice!
Posted Image

#7 jersey

• 547 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:43 AM

you got to be kidding me!! this is the worst possible thing they could do. i had hoped these contestants would be more tenured in the season b4 they had them attempting Whitney songs. smh...

Posted Image

A glorious, golden voice that only comes once in a lifetime.

#8 Every1lovesNippy

• 749 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:20 AM

View Postultimatej, on 02 March 2012 - 01:43 AM, said:

you got to be kidding me!! this is the worst possible thing they could do. i had hoped these contestants would be more tenured in the season b4 they had them attempting Whitney songs. smh...

Train wreck for sure. Line up the paramedics 'cause this will be UGLY.

#9 Kevin

Pitchologist Dr. Kevin

• 6,098 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:48 AM

Personally it should be vice verse. The girls should be singing Stevie. And the boys should be singing Whitney. Their vocal ranges allow for this transition. As males find it easier to sing a high ranged female vocalist like Whitney. As do the females find it easier to sing a males song.

Posted Image
Whitney Houston defines Beauty
Beauty defines Whitney Houston

Sleep in peace my beautiful Angel

#10 Zolas

• 4,295 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:06 AM

I think it's nice that they'll pay tribute to her and to one of the greatest singers/writers of all time!

Posted Image

#11 CoNcLusIveTrUthZ

Conclue

• 17,788 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

I'm not even trying to hear (read) this.

Posted Image

"You can look back and know, you were loved"

#12 moonbeam725

• 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

I'm glad they are paying tribute to Whitney. I hope no one attempts IWALY....it will be compared to Whitney's version...and there is no comparison!

And another thing - once they pay tribute to Whitney, sales will go through the roof once again...American Idol has a LOT of viewers. With Entertainment Tonight talking about how Whitney's estate will have no money (why is it necessary for them to report on that?), I hope sales of her CD's, etc. will help to boost that up a bit (if there's any truth to that).

*sigh*

#13 remamamama

• 3,203 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

No one could ever do justice to a Whitney song on a singing competition like AI. One exception is Fantasia's rendition of GLOA, which was amazing. Not even JHud did justice to IHN - too much screaming.

I really can't see anyone from this year's Idol sing a Whitney song. This one seems to be quite good though.

Posted Image

#14 KSL415

• 289 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:47 AM

Let's cut them some slack and be thankful that they are doing some type of tribute. I hope theres some type of video montage of her career or one of her great performances, although I doubt it. Just happy to see that they are paying tribute to her in some way.
Posted Image

#15 total23

• 528 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

'American Idol' hopefuls scared to tackle Whitney Houston tribute

By Ree Hines

Wednesday night is tribute night on "American Idol" as the men put their spins on tunes from living legend Stevie Wonder, and the women make hits from late legend Whitney Houston their own. Or at least, the women will try.
While talking to "Entertainment Tonight," some of the female contestants admitted they find the tribute task intimidating. Given Houston's one-of-a-kind vocal talent, who could blame them?
"I'm kind of nervous because it's Whitney Houston," Jessica Sanchez said. "There's no voice like hers and people are really judgmental about covering her songs, but we're just going to do the best that we can."

Sanchez was far from the only member of "Idol's" top 13 to feel that way.

"For me, being a lifelong Whitney Houston fan, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," Erika Van Pelt shared, adding, "I'm so scared and so blessed at the same time. I want to do it justice -- that's all."
As does Holly Cavanah, who said, "It's really intimidating because it's Whitney Houston. … It's an honor, but at the same time it's 'arhh!'"

But there is one "Idol" hopeful who seems undaunted by the challenge.
"Even though I didn't grow up with Whitney -- you know I grew up with all country singers -- I respect Whitney so much and her hugest hit was written by country-music singer (Dolly Parton)," said Skylar Lane, who plans to pack plenty of twang into her performance. "I think we're going to be good this week."
Viewers will decide that when they watch "American Idol" Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET on FOX.

http://theclicker.to...houston-tribute

Edited by total23, 07 March 2012 - 04:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users