Where were you when you first heard?

43 replies to this topic

#16 clemsonfight

GO TIGERS!

• 7,559 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

Well it was Saturday night... I had basketball tickets on Valentine's Day, so my boyfriend and I were having our romantic dinner a few days early on Saturday... we had a great day, it was romantic, fun etc, etc...we had just finished dinner and were driving back to his place when my phone rang...it was my best friend Julianne.

She said "Are you sitting down?"

I said "Yeah, is something wrong?"

She was like "Yeah... I'm not joking or making things up but Whitney Houston died."

I felt like everything had frozen. So of course I had to jump on his iPhone and make sure it was true. And it was...I turned on the radio and V103 was playing her old songs and I cried a bit but I could still sing alot. I don't think it really entirely hit me until the next day that we had lost her forever. After the Grammys, I drove to my friend's house and the radio was playing "I Look to You" and I broke down crying and had to pull over.
Posted Image
"The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

#17 Zolas

• 4,292 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:22 AM

I thought I already knew your stories, but I didn't and reading them made me sad again...

Posted Image

#18 manilaloveswhitney

• 333 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

it was i think around 8am here. I was awaken by a sudden surge of sms and tweets then I checked my phone 3 missed calls. Then my phone rang again picked it up. My friend told me, Whitney is gone. I said WHAT? Thinking that its one of those hoax death reports.Then the second call came in from the US, TURN CNN ON MARLON. My throat went dry in a second. I cancelled all of my appointments that day. I just sat there convincing myself that this is not happening. But when it got confirmed thats when I cried. I locked myself up in my room and played the greatest hits album.
Leaving you has been the best thing for me -- WHY DOES IT HURT SO BAD

#19 Carmen

• 2,933 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

As always when there was a Whitney-related event, I checked Whitney-fan and Classic Whitney during the evening. I wanted to stay up until the first red carpet pics would arrive, my laptop was turned on. Later on, I thought it would be easier to spend time watching tv, but I was too tired so fell asleep. When I woke up, I saw the clock (it was about 2 or 3 am here, I don't remember correct) so I was happy to get to see some new Whitney pics. When I first read the topics, first I saw "Pray for Bobbi Kristina" or a topic with very similar name.At that moment, I realized something tragic happened while I was still sleeping .....then my eyes catched the other one, announcing Whitney's death. I knew that it was true, because there were already 6-7 pages of replies.
It was my most terrible night EVER. I was home, absolutely alone, and couldn't talk with anybody from family/friends as it was the middle of the night here because the time-zone differences. I cried my eyes out, my heart was pounding so fast and I couldn't calm myself, I didn't sleep at all.
It's still hard to even speak about it.
Posted Image

#20 Jenn

• 1,070 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

I was at a 70's R&B concert and just started settling in my seat. My sister called, I hit ignore. My best friend called, I hit ignore. My sister sent a text asking if I was okay. I looked at my boyfriend and said "Oh my goodness, did Whitney die... everyone is calling me!" I called my sister back and she asked was I okay and I said what happened and then didn't let her finish. I was crying and no longer interested in the concert and started reading about what occured on my phone. I remember feeling numb up until a couple of days ago.
Posted Image

#21 MLIYL

• 2,359 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

I was actually starting to get ready to go out for the night. I got a text from a friend only saying, "You ok??" I was thinking like "Huh? Yeah...why?" it didn't make sense. I didn't even text back right away.

Then I thought let me go online real quick and see if there's any tweets or any news about Whitney getting ready for the Pre-Grammy party, as I was so anxious to see how she was going to look, what she was going to wear.... then I see the threads "RIP WHITNEY!!!" & "There's a horrible rumor about Whitney going around!!" & "Did Whitney Houston really die???!!!" THEN that text from my friend started to make sense. When I saw all the confirmed links to it, and her rep confirming it... I just got up and walked around screaming "NO NO NO NO NO. NO NO NO NO NO PLEASE NO NO NO THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING NO!" and I felt like I was having a panic attack. I was just completely gutted, it was one of the most ugliest feelings I've ever had. One of the worst days of my life. I talked to Larry and couldn't stop crying.

Needless to say, I did not end up going out that night. People kept calling, texting, wanting to come over. I was so numb, in shock, and distraught, I did not want to see or talk to anybody.
Posted Image

#22 liz06

• 3,766 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

View PostMLIYL, on 19 February 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

I was actually starting to get ready to go out for the night. I got a text from a friend only saying, "You ok??" I was thinking like "Huh? Yeah...why?" it didn't make sense. I didn't even text back right away.

Then I thought let me go online real quick and see if there's any tweets or any news about Whitney getting ready for the Pre-Grammy party, as I was so anxious to see how she was going to look, what she was going to wear.... then I see the threads "RIP WHITNEY!!!" & "There's a horrible rumor about Whitney going around!!" & "Did Whitney Houston really die???!!!" THEN that text from my friend started to make sense. When I saw all the confirmed links to it, and her rep confirming it... I just got up and walked around screaming "NO NO NO NO NO. NO NO NO NO NO PLEASE NO NO NO THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING NO!" and I felt like I was having a panic attack. I was just completely gutted, it was one of the most ugliest feelings I've ever had. One of the worst days of my life. I talked to Larry and couldn't stop crying.

Needless to say, I did not end up going out that night. People kept calling, texting, wanting to come over. I was so numb, in shock, and distraught, I did not want to see or talk to anybody.

This! This is exactly how I felt. Never had a feeling like that before ever. Such an awful night.

#23 bcnulater

• 1,676 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

It started off the best day. I was making a mix cd in my basement; no tv on. I had just talked to my best friend about Sparkle, and we were all excited about the new pics we would get from the Grammy party in the morning. We talked about how great she looked with Krissy going to Kelly's party. We hung up, and I was trying to get into this site, but it froze. Just then my Dad called and said CBS news is reporting her death. I was stunned. I said no, it can't be, I just saw her looking fab, looking healthy and happy. I thought it was a bad rumor (like when Cher was reported dead on the internet two weeks ago...and you know they killed Luther on the radio years before he died). I tried to get my friend back on the phone and desperately tried getting in here. Then I went to CNN, and there it was, as breaking news.

I sat there looking at the screen in shock. I felt sick. I could actually feel my heart breaking. My friend called back, and I told him the worst news ever, that our Girl was gone. A great day of looking forward to musical events had turned into a nightmare.

It was surreal. There are still moments I can't believe it. Forty or so years from now, but good God, not now with so much to look forward to. We were DEVESTATED.
TODAY is GOD's gift to us...What we do with TODAY is our gift to GOD....

#24 motwin40

• 15 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:07 AM

I had been irritated and angered the past 24 hours about the false reports of an incident that occurred at Kelly Price's party and my brother making matters worse by calling the house and my mother answering the phone and constantly responding with "What?" As she hung up the phone, my mother explained that my brother was rambling and she was unclear of what he was saying about Whitney. We assumed he was speaking of the lies that were being reported and so I decided to go downstairs to warm up some left over food. I was so upset that I began talking to myself about how these rumors must be affecting Whitney and how I wished my brother would not call back again about these speculations, but he did. And, this time, my mother's response was different..in a sobbing yet calm voice she said, "Sissy (my nickname), come upstairs." I responded with "why...what!" As I made my way up the stairs my mom stood at the top with her arms opened and said "It's true" and I'm thinking, "What's true". I walked passed her and she tried to grab me and I said, "No, let me go!" She said "Sissy" and I said "No!" and as I approached the television, there it was......my legs became weak and I fell to the floor. I cried uncontrollably and screamed like I've never done before ....my mother held me. My mother is my rock, she loves Whitney too but she knew she had to be strong for me. I'll NEVER will forget that day

#25 Tiger

THE Tiger!

• 7,812 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

It is so weird, I always listen to Whitney, but when I drive between PA and NJ, typically go for Pandora for an 80s or Whitney mix.

This time, my phone was running low on battery so I decided to go for something less demanding on the battery, I played 'Whitney live in Spain 1991'. It felt weird, something felt different, I never really understood it.

I was at home Saturday, deciding what to do for dinner, when my friend send a message "Dude are you doing ok?". I was like 'what's wrong?', he said to check the news, and brace myself. I turned on the TV but no channel had anything yet; but then ABC confirmed it. I did not know what to think first, all I know is that I sat on my coffee table and cried hysterically.

Then I came here to post the news... it was an awful night, I would sleep two hours and wake up and cry, then go to sleep again. Never thought I would be this upset over a celebrity, but as cliche as it sounds Whitney was different.
Posted Image

"My finest day... is yet unknown..."

"Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary" -Mahatma Gandhi

#26 gazelle

• 300 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

I was sitting at home alone thinking I should really get some laundry started. For some reason I was just being still when I had a lot of 'stuff' to do. My bf called and said "Are you ok?" I respond puzzled "Yes??" He then said "Whitney Houston died"? I calmly said I'll call you back" turned to my computer, clicked on the W-F.com favorite bar button and held my breath... Our site was down. I turned on CNN then turned to Twitter looking up Terrence, Lisa and Rachel. With a confirmation from CNN I turned off the TV and my phone. I did not want to talk and I could not respond to messages asking "Are you ok?" I could not trust myself to communicate with anyone outside of this board. Am I ok??? I am not important here...Is Cissy and Krissy ok??? Is my Whitney-fan family ok? To many of these people Whitney was a talking point and not usually spoken of as a real person with real feelings. I felt as if the only people I wanted to be with was here on this board. In the years after college I posted less and less but I continued to visit weekly, at times daily and would participate in initiatives to promote our girl. All of my early information and most in the subsequent days after her passing came from you guys. You were the only people I trusted to do right in giving news.

Edited by gazelle, 20 February 2012 - 08:50 PM.

If you dont like your fate...change it!

#27 26twin

• 132 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

I was in the car headed to the movies to see Denzel's movie..Had just had a great dinner feeling good. I was in the passenger seat and my friend and I were listening to Michael Jackson in the car....half way to the movies, I get a call from my twin saying "hey hun did you hear about Whitney she died" I said, HUH thats gotta be a joke and she says that its on CNN...I went silent..she goes tisha are you okay?? SILENCE...Then i hear my friend get a call from someone telling him the same thing...My sister goes Im so sorry and we hang up. THen I get a rush of texts that I dont respond too and then another call from a high school friend who I havent talked to in forever tell me "OMG Tish you are the first person I thought about when I heard the news" We were die hard Whitney fans 12 yrs ago as well. So we talked and hung up. I wanted to tell my friend to take me home now but I didnt. Instead I turn my head looking out the window in disbelief tears falling as he asks "are you ok? Im sorry to hear bout Whitney..." So we get in the theater and find seats..I immediately excuse myself to the bathroom and ball my eyes out for about 10 to 15 mins..go back and sit through that 2 hour movie dazed,confused,hurt,mad..etc...Then I finally get home and check all of the sites because my phone had gone dead at the theater and just completely devastated..I dont think ive ever cried so hard in my life. I didnt fall asleep until 5 am..and didnt sleep for more than a couple of hours..this was the case up until maybe Tuesday...I will never forget that night as long as i live.

#28 Mind Speaker

A Proud Member of the Nippy Trinity

• 9,746 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

I won't forget it either. I remember I was STARVING and there was NOTHING on TV so I'd popped in a movie. I ordered some sushi (and a LOT of it) to be delievered and since I was so bored, I was like, "Well, I haven't been on or checked Twitter in quite some time. Let me see what's going on there." So, I opened it up on my phone and everything was status quo. Nothing big. Then I see Art's update saying "NO NO NO NO NO NO!" Then right after, I see Liz's update of about the same thing. Then I see a few more Whitney fans have the same kind of update. So I tweet a couple of them back to ask "What's wrong?" and no one responds to me. So I'm figuring something Whitney related (she's not gonna do the red carpet) has happened. So I try to get on the board from my phone. Nothing. I try to go to CW but get interrupted by my phone ringing. It's my crazy aunt who typically talks about nonsensical things, so i send her to voicemail. I try to get to CW again, and get cut off by my cousin (my aunt's daughter) texting me saying, "I'm so sorry sweetie."

I'm like, "Sorry about what?" She said, "They're reporting Whitney died. Her publicist has confirmed it." Well, I tell my cousin that we get these rumors all the time and they never amount to anything. Then I ask for the publicists name and she gives it and I'm like, that's not her publicist. I'm STILL not believing it, BUT everyone has my attention, ESPECIALLY since WF is down. I get back on twitter and start seeing the tweets from celebrities and fans and I say, "No, no. This is a misunderstanding." So, I send out an SOS text to the Whitney fans I can remember I have in my phone, as it's starting to get really "real" to me and Jace is the first to text back. He tries to calm me. I get off the phone with him saying I needed to get home behind a computer. Then my mother calls and I don't even let her talk. I answer and am like, "I heard. It's not true." She's like, "Baby, THIS TIME, it's true. The LAPD just confirmed it." The sushi arrives and I don't even eat it. I instantly lose my appetite.

I LOST IT. Like full body tremors!!!! Crying. I'm trying to drive home and remain calm and I swear the drive home took 5 hours!!!! I get home and the calls start POURING in asking if I'm okay. My ex-best friend that I haven't spoken to in nearly 2 years even called asking if I was okay. I REFUSE to turn on the news, because then it'd be real, but I could hear the news from the other room. I see Lisa post on twitter about it, and when LISA replied back, OMG that's when I really lost it. It's like EVERYTHING stood still and all the color drained from the room and it was just black & white. I remember looking down and seeing a pile of magazines with Whitney on the cover that I was scanning for WF, and she was just staring back at me and I LOOOOOOOST it!!!!!

I went driving for sometime and burnt up about 1/4 of a tank of gas if not more. I drove around town in silence--no radio, no heat, windows up. I sent ALL phone calls except for Whitney fans to voicemail. I came back home and cut on the news, numb. They were showing part of the IWDWS video and I knew I'd never see that smile or energy again and all I could do was shut myself in the bathroom and shower.

Edited by Mind Speaker, 21 February 2012 - 09:19 AM.

Posted Image

"When melodies are gone, in you I hear a song..."

Legend | ANGEL | Icon
Whitney.

(Banner Courtesy of Johnonippy)

#29 liz06

• 3,766 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

Larry I just broke down again reading that you rememebered my tweet saying NO NO NO NO NO NO I just didnt know what else to write. I think I told you something like "I think Whitney may have died" and even typing that now I get the same feeling I did that awful Saturday night. I was just praying and hoping and praying that it wasn't true.

#30 buddha

• 5,998 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

youtube comment section...it was awful! "rip whitney" many times...I knew it was real
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users