Where were you when you first heard?

43 replies to this topic

#1 ButterSoulCake

• 27 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

I very rarely post here, it's been a while, but I felt compelled to on this very special day. And I was curious to hear:

Where were you when you first heard? And how did you hear?

#2 Zolas

• 4,319 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

You really post but we all remember due to your funny name ;)

I was at home, waking up very early due to jet lag but excited to see some pics or footage from the PGP... I read it on Twitter and couldn't believe it. All I said, was "no... no... no..." before i got confirmation and started to cry... :(

Posted Image

#3 liz06

• 3,766 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

I had just got off work and I was getting notifications that fans were going to get together and tweet Whintey Houston Top Diva or something like that to make her trend on twitter. Then all of a sudden, tweets started rolling in at like between 7:30-8 saying she had passed. I thought it was a hoax and tried not to get upset but more and more came and I just started freaking out. I was shaking, my heart pounding, searching for any sort of confirmation, then it was on the news, then MSNBC, THEN FOX, THEN CNN and I knew and cried and shook all night long. I didn't sleep. I'll never forget that night. 2-11-12 the night I was truely and fully devastated.

#4 NeverStandAlone

• 78 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

I live in New York on 94th Street but I’d just taken three trains to see my friend Cyndi in Queens. We were having dinner for her birthday. We were in her apartment making pasta and having a glass of wine when her boyfriend sent her a text. We didn’t believe it at first. We thought—hoped—it was a hoax.

We’ve both loved Whitney since Jesus was a boy. I didn’t want to break down in front of my friend. So I went to the bathroom to pull myself together. We spent the rest of the night playing her music.

Cyndi is a photographer so she put together an impromptu photo shoot to cheer me up. It’s something we used to do all the time—just to play and be silly. It didn’t work this time. Needless to day. A day I will never forget. A day I knew would come but alas came far too soon.

#5 lovenip

• 2,148 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

I was in my bed too. Some of my friends had send me text message. I didn't read them first, since I was so tired and slept so well. Then I decided that it was time to go, reach for my phone and opened the message. I couldn't understad anything. They said that they were sorry and were sending sympathys for my loss. And I didn't understand what they meant. What had happend?! They mentioned Whitneys name. I just rushed out of bed turned on my computer and then it was already over the news. It had been confirmed. I started to cry and shake and just loose it. My dear Whitney gone...
It was so hard to take in. I don't know if I have really fully understood it yet, even thought I saw the funeral...
Posted Image

#6 matt dee

• 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

I live in the UK, and had just woken up early as I had an early start at work. I received a text from my sister asking if I's heard about Whitney...then more texts started coming in from friends who new I loved Whitney. I quickly flicked on BBC news and saw the breaking news. I then switched over to Fox News (our only proper US news channel here) and there it was confirmed.

#7 nippydutch

• 509 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

It was in the morning and could barely wake up... until the news was on, and they mentioned Whitney's passing. Instantly I was awake. And my first thought was "What the f**k!?!". Then I jumped out of the bed, put my computer on and saw that it was true... Man, I was SHOCKED! And it felt weird. This could not be true... sadly it was. :crying:
Posted Image Whitney, thank you for everything you've given me and the rest of the world!

#8 iWhitness

• 102 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

with me it felt really a strange coincidence. Last Sunday morning I slept long and when I woke up for some reason I wanted to listen to "I look to you" and the "Preacher's wife".. I hadn't listen to Whitney in a while as my clerkship at school is currently consuming all my time and is not working out very well... I just felt like wanting to find a place to gather some strength in the Lord and in me... so I listened to both albums on my iPod. At lunch a friend of mine called and told me that Whitney had passed away the day before - at first I didn't believe it and thought it was a canard... but then it was all over the news.. and I realized that this was some kind of closure.. but also that I will always be able to listen to her voice long after she has gone home... Rest in his arms, Whitney and may the Lord bless you all!

#9 Every1lovesNippy

• 749 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

At the Grove in LA, in the checkout line at the Cost Plus World Market with a friend trying to buy some wine. A man (a grey-haired white gentleman) walked into the store and leaned over the counter in front of us. He was looking at his cellphone and exclaimed to no one and to everyone, "Did you hear Whitney Houston is dead?" My heart just stopped. I was in a daze all the way home. My friend was driving, luckily.

#10 rachel

• 7,574 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

reading your posts made me cry all over again.

#11 whitwhit1fan22

• 973 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

I was at work and my phone keep ringing so I answered the phone it was my ex and she said did you hear and I'm like what. It was crazy because I felt something was wrong but before she could say it I was like no i just cut her off at that moment look on my Facebook seen people i haven't seen or spoke to in yrs saying sorry for your lost by then I was allready gone but I still didn't belive it. So then my grandmother called and said she was gone I broke down I thought everyone was playing a joke on me but when my grandma told me I new she wouldnt lie to me I never felt so lost and empty inside. I try to come on here but it wouldnt let me so I had no choice to turn on the tv and there she was all over everywhere damn I miss her
Posted Image

#12 John-John

John-John

• 5,723 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

It was 809 pm EST when I got the USA Today breaking news SMS alert. I was sitting in my fave recliner working on a story I submitted to David magazine atl. I started shaking & texted Larry & ascensionlyme (Troy-Anthony). At 821 I cried & smoked the first cigarette I had in 26 months.

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

#13 Tejay06

• 859 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

It was my sister's birthday. She is the reason why I am a Whitney fan - I started to listen to hear listen to and sing Whitney when I was 5 years old. I started the day off at a funeral. The woman who passed was 47 and her mother is still living. The pastor said to the mother, it's really hard for any mother to have to bury a child. I instantly thought about Whitney and Cissy. I thought, thank God, that won't be Cissy's story.

Later that day, I was at a wedding. One of my friends sent me a text message that read: WHITNEY!!!!! I thought he was texting me that because she was on the red carpet. Shortly after that, another friend sent me another text that said WHITNEY IS ______. I started shaking. Then the phone starting . I knew it was true.
Posted Image

#14 Eboni

The High Elderess of Whitney-fan.com - 10 years & counting

• 23,716 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

I haven't told anyone this, not even my husband, but I was sleeping a lot last week and I just knew I was pregnant. The last (and only) time I've ever been pregnant I was sleepy all the time. Long story short, it turns out I'm not preggars. But I was sleep almost all day that day. I woke up (now that I think about almost around the same time she was pronounced dead) but I didn't think about watching TV. I was in the kitchen microwaving some leftover stir-fry when my husband runs in and says "Babe! Come quick!". He takes me by the hand into the living room. I was scared just because he guided me in the room like I was elderly. And I nearly dropped my food on the floor when I saw the horror on the screen. I just whimpered "Nooo! Whitney!" like a defeated little girl. Ugh.. that feeling in the pit of my stomach, like I was punched in the gut.

Posted Image

#15 Mr Jace

Resident Wigologist, and Nippy Trinity Member

• 7,886 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

I was having such a wonderful day. In fact I remembered thinking: I'm on cloud 9 today.

I had spent the whole day at a cheerleading competition for my goddaughter, and also having a very wonderful texting convo with my BFF. After it was over, we (me, my mom, my two sisters, an aunt, a cousin, my goddaughter, and her friend) went to try out a new restaurant nearby called Jason's Deli.

Halfway through my turkey & ham club sandwich, my cousin gasps and reads aloud: "Whitney Houston dead at 48!!!" It was on a text she got from USA Today. I guess they send breaking news alert text messages. Anyway I didn't believe it, claiming "This has happened before." 2 or 3 min later, my BFF texts to say the same thing. A minute or so after that, I simultaneously got about 7 texts from 7 different people, asking me if I'd heard, or if I'm OK, etc. It froze my phone.

Then, I began shaking.....

It was hard trying to hold it together, considering I was out in public. Somehow I did, hoping it was yet another hoax, but still shaking. I just knew I had to get up from the table and get home.

Sure wish it had been a hoax. Part of me still wishes it was...

Edited by Mr Jace, 18 February 2012 - 10:52 PM.

Posted Image
My heart is calling.
"Be good to yourself when nobody else will."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users