Whitney TV information (tributes, etc.)

21 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

VIP Member

• 14,233 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Let's post any information about upcoming TV specials, etc., here. The memorial thread is so huge that no one will find information in there.

Obviously, some of these shows are going to get it wrong and annoy us. Use your personal judgment as to whether to watch any of it. You can always change the channel.

Excerpt from the Hollywood Reporter:

Houston is remembered with a slew of specials on cable and broadcast TV. Among the networks' Houston-centric programming: a VH1 news special, Whitney Houston: Death of a Diva, that aired Monday; E! News' Whitney Houston: Last Days of a Legend, slated to air Wednesday with interviews from those at the Beverly Hilton at the time of her death as well as those who encountered the star in her final days; an ABC News' 20/20 report slated for Friday entitled One Moment in Time: The Life of Whitney Houston. Last, but never least, Oprah Winfrey's OWN will re-air on Thursday the media mogul's 2009 interview with Houston.
If tomorrow is judgment day ...
And the Lord asks me what I did with my life,
I will say I spent it with you.

#2 Lisa

VIP Member

• 14,233 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

From the Hollywood Reporter:

Whitney Houston's Death Spikes Magazine Show TV Ratings

The tragedy of Whitney Houston's death and the Grammy Awards combined to pump up the ratings for all major TV news magazines on Monday.

Entertainment Tonight, which is the longtime leader in the category, saw an impressive 19% jump (compared to Monday the week before) to a 3.8 overnight rating, which means 8% of those viewing TV at that time were tuned in.

E.T. Did a special report from the Grammys, which aired on CBS. E.T. Is also a CBS production so had excellent access. The Grammy’s, of course, included tributes to Houston, as did the newsmagazine coverage.

Access Hollywood was up 25% to a 3.1 rating and 7% share of the audience. It was up 19% over the same time last year.

Extra had a 22% improvement over the same day a week earlier, with a 2.2 rating and 5% of the available viewership.

E.T.’s stable mate, The Insider, was up an impressive 36% week to week, rating 1.9 with a 4% share of audience.

TMZ, which broke a series of Houston death scene scoops, popped up 39% from the prior week and was up 19% compared to a year earlier.

All of these ratings come from the largest cities that are “metered markets,” meaning the Nielsen rating service has electronic tracking systems in homes there. The national numbers will come out in about two weeks and may be slightly different.
If tomorrow is judgment day ...
And the Lord asks me what I did with my life,
I will say I spent it with you.

#3 Dani

• 21 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

Thank you for opening this topic. As far as I know there are no specials planned on german tv, and from here is no access to us channels. Does anybody know about tv specials about her in Germany? I'd appreciate any hint.

#4 LatinNippy24

• 361 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

There are also a few other tributes showing according to my cable network:

Whitney Houston: An Icon Remembered on the TV Guide channel on Thusday from 8-9pm.

Whitney Houston: In Her Own Words on MTV today (Wed) at 7:30pm.

Whitney Houston's Greatest Moments on VHI on Thurs at 11pm.

The NAACP Image Awards will also be paying tribute to her (according to a commercial) on NBC on Fri at 8pm.

#5 LatinNippy24

• 361 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

They just showed a clip of Marvin Winans speaking about Whitney (he will be on the Anderson Cooper 360 show tonight at 8) and he said when he heard of Whitney's death he "wasn't surprised.". WTH?!!

#6 Examiner

• 2,688 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

CNN Presents 'Whitney Houston: The Death of a Diva', Saturday, February 18, 2012 @ 8PM

#7 John-John

John-John

• 5,723 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

View PostLatinNippy24, on 15 February 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

They just showed a clip of Marvin Winans speaking about Whitney (he will be on the Anderson Cooper 360 show tonight at 8) and he said when he heard of Whitney's death he "wasn't surprised.". WTH?!!

I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt til I watch. But trust: I will rip him to shreds on this thread if he uses this as a self aggrandizing moment.

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

#8 laprimadivas1fan

• 5,269 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

I'm just sick of even those who were close acquaintances allowing the flurry of media speculation to warp and shape their own perspectives. Can we wait until we have further information from the ongoing investigation? I mean DA-YUM.

Sorry for that rant. Just tired of it.

Edited by laprimadivas1fan, 15 February 2012 - 06:42 PM.

Posted Image
Let Love Be Your Energy!
- Robbie Williams

"When the curtain rises, the only thing that speaks is courage." - Maria Callas

#9 whluver

Web Board Addict

• 29,558 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

No, Lee, we certainly cannot hold off. The paper I work for is publishing this headline tomorrow in its sister paper: "Whitney Houston's death probe to focus on drugs." Of course, the story says they're focusing on PRESCRIPTION drugs. I shot an e-mail to the person who wrote it suggesting something like "Houston's death probe to turn to prescriptions" or "Whitney Houston's death probe to focus on meds." It didn't change anything, but since the world is dying to make this an illegal-drug overdose, I thought it irresponsible to write such a headline. Even now, we don't even know the prescription drugs had any role, let alone illegal ones.

Edited by whluver, 15 February 2012 - 08:13 PM.

Posted Image
The Emporium: The Luxurious House of Sherry

#10 dablack11

• 292 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

I"m watching the E! special, and of course Tina Brown shows her face on there commenting.... i swear ... I dunno if it's old footage or not, but just seeing her and her name irked me

Edited by dablack11, 15 February 2012 - 09:55 PM.

#11 ZuZy

• 837 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

a true tribute would be to show a live concert in it's entirety, just the music and her voice.. not all this bla bla and speculation about her life..

#12 Blazinice

• 458 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

View PostZuZy, on 16 February 2012 - 09:24 AM, said:

a true tribute would be to show a live concert in it's entirety, just the music and her voice.. not all this bla bla and speculation about her life..

I imagine that the doors will now be blown off of that vault that Arista has... I'm sure they will capitalize by releasing as much material as they can. (And if there really was a Christmas album recorded and shelved, we'll probably have it in our hands by next October.)

Posted Image

#13 LuVaBoY

• 1,514 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

For all the Dutch fans:

This Sunday host Ivo Niehe will look back on his interview he had in 1991 with Whitney, prime time in the Tros TV show. I have never seen this, so it's rare!
Posted Image

Edited by LuVaBoY, 16 February 2012 - 11:57 AM.

Posted Image

#14 LatinNippy24

• 361 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostLatinNippy24, on 15 February 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

There are also a few other tributes showing according to my cable network:

Whitney Houston: An Icon Remembered on the TV Guide channel on Thusday from 8-9pm.

Whitney Houston: In Her Own Words on MTV today (Wed) at 7:30pm.

Whitney Houston's Greatest Moments on VHI on Thurs at 11pm.

The NAACP Image Awards will also be paying tribute to her (according to a commercial) on NBC on Fri at 8pm.

I recorded on my DVR "Whitney Houston: In Her Own Words" last night and thought I was ready to watch it this morning. However, as soon as I heard Whitney speak, I broke down and began to sob. I'm not ready for this just yet. I miss you so much Whitney!!

#15 Examiner

• 2,688 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

Not sure which thread to put this in. Not a tribute but worth noting.

CNN Headline News will begin their live coverage of Whitney Houston's funeral starting at 7AM, Saturday, February 18, 2012.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users