Celebrity Tributes to Whitney Houston

656 replies to this topic

#16 remamamama

• 3,203 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

Monica & Brandy
http://rn.eonline.co...-houston/178788

Brandy
My heart is destroyed. I lost my idol and dear friend. My prayers go out to Whitney's family and her millions of fans around the world. Whitney -- the greatest voice of all time -- you are my angel and I will always and forever love you.

Robyn Crawford
I met her when she was 16. It was at a summer job. I was working at a community center in East Orange, New Jersey, and she was working just like the rest of us. She was there to work. She introduced herself as "Whitney Elizabeth Houston," and I knew right away she was special. Not a lot of people introduced themselves with their middle names back then. She had peachy colored skin and she didn't look like anyone I'd ever met in East Orange, New Jersey.

She was nothing like the Whitney Houston she became but at the same time she was already there. She knew, and so did everyone around her. She was doing shows in Manhattan with her mother, and she'd change her clothes in the car and get on stage and do her thing. She hadn't signed her contract yet. But she was modeling for Wilhelmina because she was discovered on the street. She was walking in front of Carnegie Hall and someone walked up to her and said, "There's a modeling agency upstairs that's looking for someone just like you." She walked upstairs and they signed her. That's what it was like, that's what she gave off. She looked like an angel. When my mother first met her, she laughed and said, "You look like an angel, but I know you're not." And she wasn't. But she looked like one.

She chose the life she lived, and she chose it from the beginning. She knew the life better than anyone. Her mother was Cissy Houston, and she had been on the road with Dionne Warwick. She got her chops singing in church, and her mother said to her, "You know, you can always sing for free. You can always sing in church. You don't have to choose the professional life." But she chose because she'd been chosen. Some people sing just because. She was never like that. She had to put on her gear. She knew it was going to be a job and that's how she treated it. Once she committed to something, she finished it. Not long after I met her, she said, "Stick with me, and I'll take you around the world." She always knew where she was headed.

And we went around the world. I was her assistant and then her executive assistant and then her creative director. I was her point person for the day-to-day. I traveled all around the world first-class and anyone who ever worked for her will tell you her checks never bounced. You knew she was going to take care of you. She wasn't going to be in a five-star hotel while you were in a two. I flew the Concorde the way some people ride the bus. She shared the fruits, and she changed a lot of lives. The record company, the band members, her family, her friends, me — she fed everybody. Deep down inside that's what made her tired.

It was never easy. She never left anything undone. But it was hard. The Bodyguard was great when it was done, but it was a lot of work. She did the movie, she did the music, she did everything — and when she was done, she was done. She nailed it. The music supervisor brought her Linda Ronstadt's version of "I Will Always Love You" way before Kevin Costner brought Dolly Parton's version — and she always knew what she could do with it. So when Kevin came in and played it for her and told her he wanted her to sing it for the movie, she said, "Fine." She wasn't much for showing off what she had, except when she had to.

I always compare her performance of that song with a great athlete hitting his peak — with Michael Jordan in the playoffs. It was the absolute pinnacle of what she could do, of what anyone could do — and then she had to keep on doing it. Everybody wanted to hear her sing that song, and so she sang it. It didn't matter whether she had a cold, or wasn't in good voice; she had to deliver it, and she had it arranged so she could deliver every last note. And even if the note wasn't there, the feeling was. A lot of her songs were like that. They were a lot to deliver, but she delivered them every note, every time.

It's so strange that she died when she did. February was her month. Her first album was released on Valentine's Day, right around the time of the Grammys, right around the time of Clive Davis's party. It was an orchestrated thing. She was Clive's girl, his great discovery. And she died right before Valentine's Day, right before the Grammys, right before Clive's party. Of course, she was going. I don't know if she was singing, I don't know what kind of pressure she was putting on herself. But she was going, that's for damned sure.

People thought they had to protect her. She hated that. And that's what people don't understand: She was always the one doing the driving. Someone just called and told me that the family kept Whitney from seeing her. Nobody kept Whitney from doing anything. She did what she wanted to do. When people left her or were told to leave, they could never believe that Whitney would never call them — but she never did. She was working hard to keep herself together, and I think she felt that if she admitted any feeling of sadness or weakness she would crumble. One time, back when we were young, we were out, we were partying, and I said, "Listen, I have to go. I'm tired. I can't make it." And she looked at me with her eyes wide and said, "I've got to make it."

And that was Whitney. She could not pick up the phone, and that meant it was too painful. I have never spoken about her until now. And she knew I wouldn't. She was a loyal friend, and she knew I was never going to be disloyal to her. I was never going to betray her. Now I can't believe that I'm never going to hug her or hear her laughter again. I loved her laughter, and that's what I miss most, that's what I miss already.

I'm trying not to think of the end. I'm trying not to listen to all the reports. All these people talking about drugs — well, a lot of people take drugs, and they're still around. Whitney isn't, because you never know the way the wind blows. I just hope that she wasn't in pain and that she hadn't lost hope. She gave so much to so many people; I hope that she felt loved in return. She was the action, for such a long time. She's out of the action now. I hope she can finally rest.

Posted Image

#17 remamamama

• 3,203 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

Mary J Blige: So many tears, hurting so bad, this is unbelievable! I really don't know what else to say. I wanted my sister Whitney Houston 2 make it.

Will.I.Am: I'm so sad...whitney houston was so kind, sweet, wonderful, amazing, talented, and a true gift to the world...#iwillalwaysloveyou

Tony Bennett: It's a tragedy. Whitney Houston was the greatest singer I've ever heard and she will be truly missed.

Simon Cowell: I am so sad to hear about Whitney. We have lost one of the greatest singers of all time.

Simon Pegg: I honestly don’t know what’s more sad the news that Whitney Houston has died or that so many people seemed to relish telling me. #notcool

Carson Daly: Sick to learn of Whitney Houston’s passing. On Clive Davis’s big night. Prayers to her family. So sad.

Piers Morgan: Still can’t quite believe this – interviewed #Whitney ‘s mentor Clive Davis only last night, talking about her incredible talent.

Tamron Hall: Devastating news #WhitneyHouston

Demi Lovato: “I Look To You – Whitney Houston…. :’(

SNL

Posted Image

#18 NippyFanNy779

• 8,788 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

Jennifer Hudson -It was the greatest honor of my life to be able to be the one to pay tribute to Whitney’s memory. It was from my heart. I haven’t stopped crying since she passed. Her family is in my prayers.

Posted Image

Was my life not enough of a cautionary tale for you?

#19 remamamama

• 3,203 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

Bishop T.D. Jakes

Posted Image

#20 remamamama

• 3,203 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

Janet Jackson
I couldn't believe it. Immediately I started shaking. I was trying to text everyone that I knew to let them know and I was speechless. I could not believe it ... I still can't believe it when I hear them playing tribute to her on the radio. It's still such a shock to me. I don't want to believe it. She is known as The Voice. When she would open her mouth and this instrument would come out, you would obviously understand why. She was such a sweet, sweet soul and especially back in the late 80s, early 90s when I connected with Whitney the most. Doesn't matter if we were doing an award show, we would always take the time out to find another. We'll always find the time to talk together. It's very, very devastating and I pray for her and her family, even Bobby. I mean he's going through so much. They are all going through so much. The mother, it's very sad. It's a very, very tough time. Even though it's still a loss - I lost my brother, she lost her mother - there's still a difference, even though there's a still a loss to a family, I don't know what that's like being so young. It was hard for me. It was very very difficult for me. I didn't want to accept it, it's very difficult. You have to come to terms at some point, you have to actually give it up to God and it sounds so mean but you have to move on you can't hold onto that because it can be very devastating. But you have to go on with life. You figure out a way to move on. It's always right here. There's never a day, not one day has gone by where I don't think about my brother and my other brothers and sisters say the same thing.
Video: http://www.etonline....sing/index.html

Posted Image

#21 remamamama

• 3,203 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

Trey Songz and Ne-Yo
http://www.vladtv.co..._medium=twitter

Trey Songz: She was one of her kind, to make it possible for Beyonce to do what she's doing today. She was at the Superbowl, and shut that thing down.

NeYo: Never forgotten. We lost an icon. It was a sad situation but what she did for music will live forever.

Edited by remamamama, 14 February 2012 - 02:04 PM.

Posted Image

#22 remamamama

• 3,203 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

Will Smith
R.I.P. Whitney Houston - She has won 415 Awards: 2 Emmy's, 6 Grammy's, 22 American Music Awards, 30 Billboard Awards... SHE WON OUR HEARTS.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." - R.I.P. Whitney Houston
Who else is just waiting for the Whitney tribute at this point...
R.I.P. Whitney Houston - (August 9, 1963 - February 11, 2012)
"People change, and often they become the person they said they will never be." - R.I.P. Whitney Houston
"Take me for what I am. 'Cause I'll never change all my colors for you." - R.I.P. Whitney Houston
"Learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all." - R.I.P. Whitney Houston
"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will." - R.I.P. Whitney Houston
"R.I.P. Whitney Houston - (August 9, 1963 - February 11, 2012) - Heaven's Newest Angel"

Posted Image

#23 Mind Speaker

A Proud Member of the Nippy Trinity

• 9,746 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

Posted Image

"When melodies are gone, in you I hear a song..."

Legend | ANGEL | Icon
Whitney.

(Banner Courtesy of Johnonippy)

#24 Nik31

• 1,589 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

crying again.

#25 s0436

• 1,269 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Yeah I am waiting for Madonna and Prince to pay tribute.

#26 liz06

• 3,766 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

Nothing from Prince? Angela Bassett?

#27 Every1lovesNippy

• 749 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

Madonna??????

#28 PontusFromSweden

Board Poll Wizard & Board Atheist & Feminist

• 6,420 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

View PostEvery1lovesNippy, on 14 February 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

Madonna??????

Still nothing?
She is probably too busy to think of anything else then herself as usual.

#29 Lisa

VIP Member

• 14,169 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

View PostPontusFromSweden, on 14 February 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

Madonna??????

Still nothing?

LMAO
If tomorrow is judgment day ...
And the Lord asks me what I did with my life,
I will say I spent it with you.

#30 PontusFromSweden

Board Poll Wizard & Board Atheist & Feminist

• 6,420 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

View PostLisa, on 14 February 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

View PostPontusFromSweden, on 14 February 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

Madonna??????

Still nothing?

LMAO

I love her, but at the same time I cant stand her, she is so full of herself, and now she has a tour, a movie and an album coming out, I bet she is pissed off that Whitney´s death took all the focus from her stuff.
Im sorry, I had to rant, I find it strange she hasnt said anything, and it´s not like she is in deep deep mourning, she is in London I think doing promotion. If I´ve missed her statement, then i take back everything I just wrote, if not, say something you egotistiscal cow! :sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users