Semi OT : Bridge Over Troubled Water

16 replies to this topic

#1 karan

Karan

• 1,842 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:43 AM

This has definitely become one of my favorite songs of all. And it just ain't the Whitney and Cece version that I love, I equally love the original by Simon & Garfunkel and also the one by Aretha Franklin. I was just browsing Youtube for some more covers on it, and I found many great ones. Being an obsessed Whitney fan it's hard for me to choose any other version over the Whitney and Cece one, but the other ones too 'hit' me equally hard.
Here's a Brian McKnight/Chaka Khan version I heard to it. I had a tear rolling down to my chin when Brian finished the first part and executed it soooo well. Ofcoarse am a ninny cry-baby LOL :blush: When Chaka came and how the arrangement changed a little after that kind of ruined it for me. But I loved the first part anyway.

Besides these I've been listening to the versions by Roberta Flack, Luther Vandross, Elvis Presley, Jennifer Holiday etc
So what's your favorite version of this song? Do you think there's any version that surpasses the one by Whitney and Cece???...I know many of Elvis and Aretha fans don't give any credit to it. But it's definitely one of the best versions I've heard!!

Posted Image

"To hear Houston going at full throttle with the 35 piece Georgia Mass Choir struggling to keep up is to realise what her phenomenal voice is made for."- USA Today

"..none of us would sound the same if Aretha Franklin hadn't ever put out a record, or Whitney Houston hadn't." - Mariah Carey

"No matter what they take from me, they can't take away MY DIGNITY..."

Gift! Gift! Gift! - Oprah Winfrey

#2 karan

Karan

• 1,842 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:49 AM

Here's the HEAVENLY version by Aretha Franklin. It brings me head over heals each time I hear it!!! When she goes 'oooh if you ever need a friend'.................holy goodness!! FILL ME ARETHA!! FILL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Posted Image

"To hear Houston going at full throttle with the 35 piece Georgia Mass Choir struggling to keep up is to realise what her phenomenal voice is made for."- USA Today

"..none of us would sound the same if Aretha Franklin hadn't ever put out a record, or Whitney Houston hadn't." - Mariah Carey

#3 buddha

• 5,998 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:24 AM

I really like this version too

Posted Image

#4 Blazinice

• 458 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for posting the version with B.McKnight... I LOVE him and I'd never seen that before. His voice is amazing. I saw him in concert this year on my birthday and the man is vocally just a beast. He hit a note, got up from one piano still holding the note, walked across the stage to another piano, sat down, started playing and finally let the note go. And best of all, I requested that he sing Win via Twitter and right after he finished that note he said, I don't usually do this next song but I had a request for it on Twitter and I heard him play the first few notes... you better believe this boy went crazy! LoL

Posted Image

#5 karan

Karan

• 1,842 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

View PostBlazinice, on 31 December 2011 - 10:09 AM, said:

Thanks for posting the version with B.McKnight... I LOVE him and I'd never seen that before. His voice is amazing. I saw him in concert this year on my birthday and the man is vocally just a beast. He hit a note, got up from one piano still holding the note, walked across the stage to another piano, sat down, started playing and finally let the note go. And best of all, I requested that he sing Win via Twitter and right after he finished that note he said, I don't usually do this next song but I had a request for it on Twitter and I heard him play the first few notes... you better believe this boy went crazy! LoL

There's another one by him featuring Josh Groban :)

Posted Image

#6 karan

Karan

• 1,842 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

View Postbuddha, on 31 December 2011 - 07:24 AM, said:

This one only gets good when Jennifer and Luther come in. I didn't like the first verse sung by that dude.
Posted Image

#7 buddha

• 5,998 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

View Postkaran, on 01 January 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

This one only gets good when Jennifer and Luther come in. I didn't like the first verse sung by that dude.

It's Paul Simon who wrote the song...yeah I enjoy Jennifer and Luther part more but I like that Paul Simon was a part of this more gospel version of his song
Posted Image

#8 karan

Karan

• 1,842 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

View Postbuddha, on 01 January 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

View Postkaran, on 01 January 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

It's Paul Simon who wrote the song...yeah I enjoy Jennifer and Luther part more but I like that Paul Simon was a part of this more gospel version of his song
Oh! I didn't know his first name! Plus it's always Garfunkel singing the song, so I'd never seen him. :P
Posted Image

#9 buddha

• 5,998 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

View Postkaran, on 01 January 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

Oh! I didn't know his first name! Plus it's always Garfunkel singing the song, so I'd never seen him. :P

Yeah I didn't know it was Paul Simon when I first saw the performance...he seems kind of out of place if you don't know who it is lol

Edited by buddha, 01 January 2012 - 09:49 AM.

Posted Image

#10 karan

Karan

• 1,842 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

View Postbuddha, on 01 January 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

View Postkaran, on 01 January 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

Yeah I didn't know it was Paul Simon when I first saw the performance...he seems kind of out of place if you don't know who it is lol
The way he did to me when I first watched it. lol
Especially when the other two took it over, he was totally over-shadowed. Poor him! But anyway I respect him for writing, what I think is one of the best written songs on friendship ever! :)
Posted Image

#11 KSNipFan

• 385 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:51 AM

That poor guy in the back when they started to ad-lib...he looked so out of place...lol good version

#12 KSNipFan

• 385 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:52 AM

View PostKSNipFan, on 02 January 2012 - 07:51 AM, said:

That poor guy (dont know his name) in the back when they started to ad-lib (Luther, Jennifer)...he looked so out of place...lol good version

#13 Lisa

VIP Member

• 14,169 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

See, that's a shame that you didn't know that's Paul Simon. He's not the better vocalist from Simon & Garfunkel, but he's the songwriter and his solo career has been on par with all the success that they had as a duo. (And that's no small thing, because Simon & Garfunkel were superstars back in the day.) It's totally worth checking out his catalog, if anyone is curious. He's written and performed a huge amount of famous songs. I saw him perform live in concert last year (the show was taped and recently aired on PBS) and it was great.

And boy do I feel old. :blush:
If tomorrow is judgment day ...
And the Lord asks me what I did with my life,
I will say I spent it with you.

#14 karan

Karan

• 1,842 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:11 AM

View PostLisa, on 02 January 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

See, that's a shame that you didn't know that's Paul Simon. He's not the better vocalist from Simon & Garfunkel, but he's the songwriter and his solo career has been on par with all the success that they had as a duo. (And that's no small thing, because Simon & Garfunkel were superstars back in the day.) It's totally worth checking out his catalog, if anyone is curious. He's written and performed a huge amount of famous songs. I saw him perform live in concert last year (the show was taped and recently aired on PBS) and it was great.

And boy do I feel old. :blush:
Ya I know, I should've known, he wrote such a beautiful song... :blush:
Posted Image

#15 karan

Karan

• 1,842 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

Seems, this board is read by alotta people on ma FB. Each time a discussion goes on here, I find the same thing on ma wall. Now all of a sudden they have numerous BOTW performances all over lol :lol:
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users