Revisited: Classic Whitney concert

19 replies to this topic

#1 Tiger

THE Tiger!

• 7,815 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

Thanks to Buddyactor, I had the chance to relive Classic Whitney on youtube while working today (was not watching, just listening). Now, someone remind me, what the heck were we thinking? I remember folks saying how it wasn't her best, she was sick and didn't sound very good. God!! Really??? Granted she was sick, but some of the songs there are killers!!!! Aint No Way??? Jeez!!! That Dionne medley? Diana Ross songs? I just can't see how America thought it was 'so-so'.

I am here to say Classic Whitney is a fantastic concert! There I said it!!!

Arista, just release it on DVD already!

Anyone with me?
Posted Image

"My finest day... is yet unknown..."

"Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary" -Mahatma Gandhi

#2 karan

Karan

• 1,893 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:18 PM

I think Whitney's TONE was prolly the best or one of the best EVER in that concert! Her upper chest notes were not that accessible, but she produced some of the best runs and riffs she's EVER done - she could give Beyonce or even Aretha, for that matter, a run for their money with those runs and riffs! I recently compiled up a her live Runs and Riffs and not very surprisingly for me, most of them in my video came from the CW concert!
Not just Ain't No Way, but the ENTIRE Aretha medley was utter perfection!!
Aifie, Abraham, Martin and John, Exhale - the concert had EPIC vocals!!!

Edit : Also God Bless The Child - LOVE that performance!!

Edited by karan, 20 October 2011 - 03:19 PM.

Posted Image

"To hear Houston going at full throttle with the 35 piece Georgia Mass Choir struggling to keep up is to realise what her phenomenal voice is made for."- USA Today

"..none of us would sound the same if Aretha Franklin hadn't ever put out a record, or Whitney Houston hadn't." - Mariah Carey

"No matter what they take from me, they can't take away MY DIGNITY..."

Gift! Gift! Gift! - Oprah Winfrey

#3 karan

Karan

• 1,893 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

Btw, what sickness are you taking about?? She had a cold/soar throat or something??
Posted Image

"To hear Houston going at full throttle with the 35 piece Georgia Mass Choir struggling to keep up is to realise what her phenomenal voice is made for."- USA Today

"..none of us would sound the same if Aretha Franklin hadn't ever put out a record, or Whitney Houston hadn't." - Mariah Carey

#4 Tiger

THE Tiger!

• 7,815 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

View Postkaran, on 20 October 2011 - 03:18 PM, said:

I think Whitney's TONE was prolly the best or one of the best EVER in that concert!
Yes, yes, YES!!! Oh my God yes!!!!

View Postkaran, on 20 October 2011 - 03:21 PM, said:

Btw, what sickness are you taking about?? She had a cold/soar throat or something??
I think she had the flu. and it got worse in the second night (very obvious in her speaking voice), yet she delivered a SOLID show.
Posted Image

"Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary" -Mahatma Gandhi

#5 karan

Karan

• 1,893 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

I absolutely ADORE this performance.

Love the Run @ 4:52 - 'To wish you wEeeEeEEEeeell' - she does it with such fluidity and it comes so naturally to her voice!!
Posted Image

#6 karan

Karan

• 1,893 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

I think she had the flu. and it got worse in the second night (very obvious in her speaking voice), yet she delivered a SOLID show.
Ya I could figure out the difference in her vocals between the two nights! But she still blew it outta the park!

Edited by karan, 20 October 2011 - 03:35 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Mind Speaker

A Proud Member of the Nippy Trinity

• 9,754 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

Lord, do I ever remember the controversy surrounding this concert! People were very upset and convinced that she had lost it and also I remember the drug rumor talk intensifying as a result of this concert. That aside, I happen to favor the Oct. 3 show more than the Oct. 5 show, although she did fewer songs. It took a second for her voice to warm up for the Oct. 5 show, but once it did, she delievered! That version of "Porgy" before going into "Summertime" (which I LOOOOVE) sounded IDENTICAL to the AMA performance of it in 1994 for the most part. It definitely ranks among my favorites, though I thought she was too "old" acting there. The vibrancy and youth I was accustomed to seeing was dimmed for whatever reason. But the show was AMAZING! I remember being bored out of my mind watching it when it first aired because she wasn't singing her songs lol.

Posted Image

"When melodies are gone, in you I hear a song..."

Legend | ANGEL | Icon
Whitney.

(Banner Courtesy of Johnonippy)

#8 CoNcLusIveTrUthZ

Conclue

• 17,804 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

View PostMind Speaker, on 20 October 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:

Lord, do I ever remember the controversy surrounding this concert! People were very upset and convinced that she had lost it and also I remember the drug rumor talk intensifying as a result of this concert. That aside, I happen to favor the Oct. 3 show more than the Oct. 5 show, although she did fewer songs. It took a second for her voice to warm up for the Oct. 5 show, but once it did, she delievered! That version of "Porgy" before going into "Summertime" (which I LOOOOVE) sounded IDENTICAL to the AMA performance of it in 1994 for the most part. It definitely ranks among my favorites, though I thought she was too "old" acting there. The vibrancy and youth I was accustomed to seeing was dimmed for whatever reason. But the show was AMAZING! I remember being bored out of my mind watching it when it first aired because she wasn't singing her songs lol.

Me too. I remember this was the first time my parents noticed something with her as well. I was just mad that she wasn't singing her own songs. I didn't know those songs,but I didn't care because she still sounded beautiful and it made me think "all these ladies must be mad Whitney is singing their own songs better". (I was like 13) LOL

Posted Image

"You can look back and know, you were loved"

#9 Tiger

THE Tiger!

• 7,815 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

View PostMind Speaker, on 20 October 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:

though I thought she was too "old" acting there. The vibrancy and youth I was accustomed to seeing was dimmed for whatever reason. But the show was AMAZING! I remember being bored out of my mind watching it when it first aired because she wasn't singing her songs lol.
The show was quickly was sent to TV stations around the world; back in the 90s we used to have to wait several months, or even a year, to get one of the local channels to air something from HBO. But this one aired almost 3 months after.

Like you, I thought she was acting older (though my mom LOVED her outfits). I taped the show, but only would watch IWALY, Exhale, GLOA and the encore. I would skip over the 'classic' parts cause I thought it was boring.

But man I was wrong! These are wonderful songs, I give full credit to Whitney for introducing me to all those 'old school classics', and introducing me to gospel.
Posted Image

#10 karan

Karan

• 1,893 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

It might be possible that people judged her entire concert, as they still do today, solely based on her performance of IWALY, which I would say - wasn't the best performance of the concert.... :sweating:
Although thats a STUPID way of judging the entire concert! That's like the hardest song to sing on the planet!!
Posted Image

#11 divas2004

• 331 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:57 PM

View Postkaran, on 20 October 2011 - 04:08 PM, said:

It might be possible that people judged her entire concert, as they still do today, solely based on her performance of IWALY, which I would say - wasn't the best performance of the concert.... :sweating:
Although thats a STUPID way of judging the entire concert! That's like the hardest song to sing on the planet!!

for the most part i liked the IWALY from that concert, she hit all the notes in the climax and killed the ending, although that was probably the first time ever in a live show that she sang the climax without all the power belting so maybe people didnt like it. I suppose seeing that concert in 2011 your gonna have a different perspective to seeing it in 1997. I only saw it for the first time maybe 2 years ago and i like most of it. Second night is a little rough in parts vocally but she was hoarse so she did the best she could on the night. First show is much smoother, she is sublime on that exhale, definitely one of the best if not the best she has ever sounded live on that song.. Other highlights, Alfie, and Aint no way.

#12 the1nonlydkd

• 4,613 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

I love that show and one of the examples of all of the vocal eras mixed into one. There were moments the vocals harkened back to TBG, and also predicted the grit of MLIYL.
Posted Image

LIVE: The ONLY way it can be done.

#13 truthspeaker06

• 2,450 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:06 AM

CW is actually one of my top 3 WH concerts. if only for the material she was singing. All of those songs she covered really amazingly selected, arranged, & executed. The Diana medley was SICK & that Dionne Medley was amazing. She really dug deep with the song selections & paid homage to some amazing individuals.

Also, that God Bless The Child, Summertime, & esp Alfie reaaallllly slay! & I won't even get on that arrangement for Exhale, because that intro alone with the orchestra was DIVINE!

Also I wish she would kept that ILTL going, because I always go INNN when she does that song & she could've really taken that vamp on up, did yall see Mamma Shirley start to feel it? Man, the power of WH crosses all genres
Posted Image

Love is what we make it
We can make it something lovely
So don't desert me
Instead, learn to trust me
And love is what we make it
So let's make it, love

#14 juzly

nippyology <3 expressionist

• 953 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:53 AM

From a non whitney freak perspective : I stick on CW dvds quite often when friends/family hang out. And all have said its one of the best concerts they have seen, ever, by any artist. They especially like the classic vibe mixed in, how whitney guides us thru and takes us on a gorgeous muscial journey with songs that influenced her and many others, (a whitney history lesson kids lol) and not just the standard hits collective most acts give us.

Mad props to the lady, considering it was broadcast, not going the standard but giving us a classic. Then again there nothing standard bought whitney. Classic timeless talent. Keep on smilin Posted Image

A Brave heart is a Powerful weapon. A Voice inspires the Way. One Love. Whitney forever

#15 Mind Speaker

A Proud Member of the Nippy Trinity

• 9,754 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:17 AM

I just went back and watched that Porgy/Summertime medley because it's been SOOOO long since I'd seen it. God this woman's mastery of her craft is AMAZING! The combination of her voice not being quite as on call as she'd like it to be that night and her lyrical interpretation really adds depth and soul to that song that people don't think she's capable of delivering. People don't categorize her as a soul singer, but she is more than that even. She is a masterful interpreter and her soul lives inside the passion she breathes into such lyrics. It's quite genius really.

(Side note: I remember two things. #1 - My mom and sister balled during the section of Shoop when she began singing to Krissy. I look up and they're all, "Awww that's so sweet! You'd have to be a mother to understand!" and #2 - my mom saying how good her BLEEP! looked in that black outfit! LOL)

Posted Image

"When melodies are gone, in you I hear a song..."

Legend | ANGEL | Icon
Whitney.

(Banner Courtesy of Johnonippy)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users