Revisited: Classic Whitney concert

19 replies to this topic

#16 Kevin

Pitchologist Dr. Kevin

• 6,109 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

CW is one of my favourite concerts from Whitney. I love all the performances from that concert. Utter perfection.

Posted Image
Whitney Houston defines Beauty
Beauty defines Whitney Houston

Sleep in peace my beautiful Angel

#17 Terrence

C.O.O. & Founder Of Ford Illustra (FI) Productions

• 31,610 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

Ok... I can admit it now and not feel crazy and given the side eye. When I FIRST watched Classic Whitney I was bored to TEARS! I was like what are these songs? Who the hell is Alfie and why the hell is she singing to him? I'm thinking ok, where is Queen Of The Night? Where is How Will I Know? Hell you coulda gave me Love Is A Contact Sport and SLAMMED my BLEEP! all night if you wanted to. LOL But NOW... Now I LOVE that concert. It's a staple in my car whenever I go on a road trip. I can sing it forward and backward, One of my fave performances was that night's Exhale when she had Monica to sing (Monica ya'll Monica! In the hoooooouse..,) and Krissi coming on stage. LOVED that moment. (DAAAAD DID IT!)

Posted Image

FI Throwback...

#18 truthspeaker06

• 2,450 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

View PostTerrence, on 21 October 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

Ok... I can admit it now and not feel crazy and given the side eye. When I FIRST watched Classic Whitney I was bored to TEARS! I was like what are these songs? Who the hell is Alfie and why the hell is she singing to him? I'm thinking ok, where is Queen Of The Night? Where is How Will I Know? Hell you coulda gave me Love Is A Contact Sport and SLAMMED my BLEEP! all night if you wanted to. LOL But NOW... Now I LOVE that concert. It's a staple in my car whenever I go on a road trip. I can sing it forward and backward, One of my fave performances was that night's Exhale when she had Monica to sing (Monica ya'll Monica! In the hoooooouse..,) and Krissi coming on stage. LOVED that moment. (DAAAAD DID IT!)

LOL I feel so young because I was like 9 years old when CW happened & so it wasn't until I was like 16 or 17 that I REALLY got to get into CW! I grew up in a house that ADORED Dionne, Diana, & Aretha so I knew all of the songs, esp Alfie my mother used to sing that one all the time when I was little lol
Posted Image

Love is what we make it
We can make it something lovely
So don't desert me
Instead, learn to trust me
And love is what we make it
So let's make it, love

#19 Mind Speaker

A Proud Member of the Nippy Trinity

• 9,754 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

View PostTerrence, on 21 October 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

Ok... I can admit it now and not feel crazy and given the side eye. When I FIRST watched Classic Whitney I was bored to TEARS! I was like what are these songs? Who the hell is Alfie and why the hell is she singing to him?

I think that was the general consensus of this concert--boredom. I remember dozing off during the Jazz medley! LOL!

Posted Image

"When melodies are gone, in you I hear a song..."

Legend | ANGEL | Icon
Whitney.

(Banner Courtesy of Johnonippy)

#20 karan

Karan

• 1,883 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

I wasn't really bored of her singing those songs. I 'liked' them then(and my 'then' was like 3-4 years back lol), but I LOVE them now! Out of all the medleys that she sang, the Aretha medley was prolly the best! The way she ends the bridge of 'Baby I Love You', with 'stop you from saying goodbye' was INSANE!! I've NEVER heard anybody doing those runs so effortlessly, it just flows out of her mouth...her vibrancy in those runs is SUPER FAST!! Nobody can repeat it - not Aretha herself!!
And that is what I like about her voice, she's always able to do something with it to kill a song, when her range is not coming up due sickness or anything else. Whitney is not one of those vocalists who have to rely entirely on their range to pull a song. She's a COMPLETE vocalist, and there's just so much to her voice even when her upper registers don't work!!
Posted Image

"To hear Houston going at full throttle with the 35 piece Georgia Mass Choir struggling to keep up is to realise what her phenomenal voice is made for."- USA Today

"..none of us would sound the same if Aretha Franklin hadn't ever put out a record, or Whitney Houston hadn't." - Mariah Carey

"No matter what they take from me, they can't take away MY DIGNITY..."

Gift! Gift! Gift! - Oprah Winfrey

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users