Official: Whitney To Star in SPARKLE!!!! (Movie News Thread - Part 1)

220 replies to this topic

#1 Nippy4eva

Legend In Training

• 4,760 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:02 PM

Whitney Houston in Talks to Star in Music-Themed Drama 'Sparkle' (Exclusive)
3:08 PM PDT 9/12/2011 by Borys Kit

Posted Image
American Idol winner Jordin Sparks and Mike Epps are set to join the remake of the 1976 film loosely based on the story of the Supremes.

Whitney Houston, making her first return to movies since 1996’s The Preacher’s Wife, is in negotiations to star in Sparkle, Sony Pictures remake of the 1976 music-themed drama.American Idol winner Jordin Sparks and actor Mike Epps also are set to star.

Mara Brock Akil, who created and executive produces BET's hit comedy The Game, wrote the script while husband Salim Akil, who has helmed every episode of Game and many episodes of the UPN hit Girlfriends, is directing. Derba Martin Chase is producing.

The original Sparkle was inspired by the story of the Supremes, and centered on the three Williams sisters, who begin singing in their church choir in Harlem in the late 1950s and become a successful girl group. Their sudden rise unravels their personal lives.

Sparks will play the title character, the talented member of the group while Houston will play her not-so encouraging mother. Epps will be Satin, a stand-up comedian who marries one of the sisters and gets her hooked on drugs.

Irene Cara played Sparkle in the original while Mary Alice, who played the Oracle in theMatrix movies, portrayed Effie. Tony King acted as Satin.

R&B icon Houston famously made her acting debut with 1992’s The Bodyguard, and also appeared in Waiting to Exhale and Preacher’s Wife. The last time she acted for the screen was in 1997’s TV movie Cinderella, with Brandy Norwood.

Houston was involved with the project as a producer when it was originally set up at Warners years ago (in an incarnation that was to star singer Aaliyah, who died in a plane crash) and will act as an exec producer on the new movie.

The movie will be the acting debut of Sparks, who won the sixth season of American Idol and had top singles such as “No Air.”

For Epps, Sparkle reunites him with the Akils, for whom he starred in the surprise hit Jumping the Broom. The actor, better known for his comedic turns, is clearly in drama mode and just wrapped the psychological thriller Vipaka with Forest Whitaker.

Email: Borys.Kit@thr.com

Twitter: @Borys_Kit

http://www.hollywood...ar-music-234137
~Jason

ARE YOU READY FOR:
WORLD WHITNEY DOMINATION???

"It seems like a lifetime, since I felt like a prisoner of my dreams..."

#2 Nippy4eva

Legend In Training

• 4,760 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:05 PM

Jordin tweeted this article!!!!

Posted: Mon., Sep. 12, 2011, 3:13pm PT
Whitney Houston, Jordin Sparks 'Sparkle' for Sony
Thesps to star in remake of musical
By Jeff Sneider

Sony Pictures is rounding up a sparkling cast for its remake of the 1976 music-themed pic "Sparkle," as Whitney Houston is in negotiations to join "American Idol" winner Jordin Sparks and Mike Epps in the film, which Salim Akil is directing from a script by Mara Brock Akil.

Debra Martin Chase, TD Jakes and Curtis Wallace are producing along with the Akils, while Houston will exec produce with Howard Rosenman and Gaylyn Fraiche.

Tri-Star Pictures will distribute the film in association with Stage 6 Films. Production is skedded to start next month.

Original pic followed three sisters who begin singing in their church choir in Harlem in the late 1950s and go on to become a successful girl group. Their sudden rise unravels their personal lives.

Remake will be set in 1968 Detroit, during the rise of Motown. Story will focus on the youngest sister, a music prodigy named Sparkle (Sparks), and her struggle to become a star while overcoming issues that are tearing her family apart.

"Sparkle" will be Houston's first starring film role in 15 years, as she last toplined Penny Marshall's 1996 pic "The Preacher's Wife." The Grammy-winning recording artist previously starred in "Waiting to Exhale and "The Bodyguard."

Project reunites director Akil with Epps, who starred in the helmer's wedding pic "Jumping the Broom," which grossed more than $37 million domestically earlier this year. Epps, who's best known for his comedic turns in "The Hangover" and "The Honeymooners," has been showcasing his dramatic chops of late, as he recently wrapped the indie thriller "Vipaka," which stars Forest Whitaker and Anthony Mackie. Epps' next gig is hosting this year's BET Hip-Hop Awards.

Sparks, who won the sixth season of "American Idol," is a Grammy-nominated platinum recording artists who will make her feature film debut in "Sparkle."

Sparks is repped by CAA, while WME reps Houston. Epps is repped by ICM.

Contact Jeff Sneider at jeff.sneider@variety.com
~Jason

ARE YOU READY FOR:
WORLD WHITNEY DOMINATION???

"It seems like a lifetime, since I felt like a prisoner of my dreams..."

#3 Mind Speaker

A Proud Member of the Nippy Trinity

• 9,754 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:57 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

YESSSSSSSSS!!!! Let the new era of Whitneydom commence!!!!! I cannot wait!!! Press junkets!! Photo shoots! Promo interviews!! New music!!! The movie!! The DVD!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAH YESSSSS!!!!

Posted Image

"When melodies are gone, in you I hear a song..."

Legend | ANGEL | Icon
Whitney.

(Banner Courtesy of Johnonippy)

#4 Mind Speaker

A Proud Member of the Nippy Trinity

• 9,754 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:02 PM

Jordin Sparks to Star in Sparkle Film
By: Brian Scott Lipton · Sep 12, 2011 · New York

Jordin Sparks
(© Tristan Fuge)

Former In the Heights star and American Idol champion Jordin Sparks will headline a new version of the 1976 film musical Sparkle, according to published reports.

The film will be directed by Salim Akil, and his wife, Mara Brock Akil, will write the script. Mike Epps will co-star.in the movie, and Whitney Houston is in negotiations to appear.

The original movie tells the story of three sisters who go from their Harlem church choir and become a successful girl group, but have unhappy personal lives.

-----------------------

Whitney Houston in Talks to Star in Remake of 'Sparkle'

By Joshua L. Weinstein at TheWrap

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:11pm EDT

Whitney Houston is negotiating to return to the big screen in Sony's remake of the 1976 film “Sparkle,” TheWrap has confirmed.

Jordin Sparks will make her feature film debut in the movie. Mike Epps also stars.

Houston hasn’t been in a movie since she traveled to Portland, Maine to make Penny Marshall’s 1996 “The Preacher’s Wife.” She starred opposite Denzel Washington in that movie.

“Sparkle” focuses on three sisters who form a musical group and then have to contend with the ups and downs of stardom. Think the Supremes.

Mara Brock Akil wrote the script and her husband, Salim Akil is directing, who worked with Epps on Sony's "Jumping the Broom."

Debra Martin Chase is producing the Sony project. Production is scheduled to begin next month.

Tri-Star Pictures is distributing in association with Stage 6 Films.

The Hollywood Reporter first reported the news.

-----------------------

Whitney Houston In Talks For ‘Sparkle’
By THE DEADLINE TEAM | Monday September 12, 2011 @ 6:09pm PDT
Tags: Jordin Sparks, Mike Epps, Sony, Sparkle, Whitney Houston

Comments (2)

Sony confirmed today that Whitney Houston is negotiating to star in Sparkle, Sony Pictures’ remake of the 1976 music drama. Houston’s last big screen appearance was in The Preacher’s Wife in 1996. American Idol winner Jordin Sparks and Mike Epps are attached to star in the remake of the film, based on the story of a Supremes-like girls group. In what would be her first movie role, Sparks is set to play the title character. Houston would play her mother. Mara Brock Akil (TV’s The Game and Girlfriends) wrote the script. Salim Akil (The Game), her husband, will direct. Debra Martin Chase is producing. Shooting is scheduled to begin next month. Tri-Star Pictures is distributing in association with Stage 6 Films. Warner Bros. recently announced plans for a remake of The Bodyguard, Houston’s most well-known starring role.

Posted Image

"When melodies are gone, in you I hear a song..."

Legend | ANGEL | Icon
Whitney.

(Banner Courtesy of Johnonippy)

#5 Mr Jace

Resident Wigologist, and Nippy Trinity Member

• 7,888 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:06 PM

View PostMind Speaker, on 12 September 2011 - 08:57 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

YESSSSSSSSS!!!! Let the new era of Whitneydom commence!!!!! I cannot wait!!! Press junkets!! Photo shoots! Promo interviews!! New music!!! The movie!! The DVD!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAH YESSSSS!!!!
:giggle: :giggle: Cute.
Posted Image
My heart is calling.
"Be good to yourself when nobody else will."

#6 CoNcLusIveTrUthZ

Conclue

• 17,804 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:19 PM

View PostNippy4eva, on 12 September 2011 - 06:02 PM, said:

Whitney Houston in Talks to Star in Music-Themed Drama 'Sparkle' (Exclusive)
3:08 PM PDT 9/12/2011 by Borys Kit

Posted Image
American Idol winner Jordin Sparks and Mike Epps are set to join the remake of the 1976 film loosely based on the story of the Supremes.

Whitney Houston, making her first return to movies since 1996’s The Preacher’s Wife, is in negotiations to star in Sparkle, Sony Pictures remake of the 1976 music-themed drama.American Idol winner Jordin Sparks and actor Mike Epps also are set to star.

Mara Brock Akil, who created and executive produces BET's hit comedy The Game, wrote the script while husband Salim Akil, who has helmed every episode of Game and many episodes of the UPN hit Girlfriends, is directing. Derba Martin Chase is producing.

The original Sparkle was inspired by the story of the Supremes, and centered on the three Williams sisters, who begin singing in their church choir in Harlem in the late 1950s and become a successful girl group. Their sudden rise unravels their personal lives.

Sparks will play the title character, the talented member of the group while Houston will play her not-so encouraging mother. Epps will be Satin, a stand-up comedian who marries one of the sisters and gets her hooked on drugs.

Irene Cara played Sparkle in the original while Mary Alice, who played the Oracle in theMatrix movies, portrayed Effie. Tony King acted as Satin.

R&B icon Houston famously made her acting debut with 1992’s The Bodyguard, and also appeared in Waiting to Exhale and Preacher’s Wife. The last time she acted for the screen was in 1997’s TV movie Cinderella, with Brandy Norwood.

Houston was involved with the project as a producer when it was originally set up at Warners years ago (in an incarnation that was to star singer Aaliyah, who died in a plane crash) and will act as an exec producer on the new movie.

The movie will be the acting debut of Sparks, who won the sixth season of American Idol and had top singles such as “No Air.”

For Epps, Sparkle reunites him with the Akils, for whom he starred in the surprise hit Jumping the Broom. The actor, better known for his comedic turns, is clearly in drama mode and just wrapped the psychological thriller Vipaka with Forest Whitaker.

Email: Borys.Kit@thr.com

Twitter: @Borys_Kit

http://www.hollywood...ar-music-234137

Jay I saw your initial reactions on CW and OMFG you had my dieing! LMAO!

Anyhow I am so excited for this. I've come to realize that low publicity banter about Whitney on the forums is likely to be ture. Both rumors come into play.

I really hope the role is expanded for Whitney. There's not much discussion here but alot of folks on CW familiar with the movie and or project suggest Whitney will have a bigger role in it then the orginal has for the mother Effie. It's ironic to me Whitney wanted to be Effie White in Dreamgirls but somehow becomes Effie in Sparkle. I wonder if Whitney had initial intentions to star in this role back in the day when she first got ahold of this.

Absolutely love the idea of "Effie" (Whitney) singing Precious Lord at the daughters funeral instead of the lead character (Jordin).

Kinda weird Whitney's playing the mother of a drug addict. How is she going to pull these emotions together and put them in check? Is this the reason she really checked back into rehab to make sure she's straight not only physically but mentally? I wonder if she can ever get to a point where she could do the Lena Biopic?

I hate to listen to it for the reasons why it was obtained but after this news I really wanna listen to her sing it now. That the way it was with the absense of two hoarse cracks in her voice would be movie worthy. If the average person ever saw that "performance" (for the lack of a better venacular) they'd think twice about thinking she couldn't sing anymore. Different voice? Yeah. Can't sing? Hell to the no.

So excited for Whitney. Makes me hopeful that Whitney is working on her for this movie both mentally and vocally. I don't care about her weight what so ever, although I do think she looks better with a tad bit weight on her. really think makes her look older than she is, however I hope she's put the damn cigarettes out allready and doing cardio to build her stamina so she can blow the way she tries to.

Edited by CoNcLusIveTrUthZ, 12 September 2011 - 11:20 PM.

Posted Image

"You can look back and know, you were loved"

#7 johnonippy

• 9,201 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:22 AM

YES!!!!!

Posted Image
w h i t n e y h o u s t o n
The Voice l The Beauty l The Legacy

1963-2012 - Lover for life.

#8 Terrence

C.O.O. & Founder Of Ford Illustra (FI) Productions

• 31,610 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:19 AM

YEEEEEEES!!! Can't wait to see Whitney on the big screen again. But it makes me wonder, what does that say about Getting To Happy? Isn't that supposed to start production in the upcoming months?

Posted Image

FI Throwback...

#9 Mr Jace

Resident Wigologist, and Nippy Trinity Member

• 7,888 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:37 AM

View PostTerrence, on 13 September 2011 - 02:19 AM, said:

...it makes me wonder, what does that say about Getting To Happy? Isn't that supposed to start production in the upcoming months?
Exactly. That's the same thing I keep wondering. I just HOPE she'll be in both movies.Once we get that confirmed, I can.....exhale. ;)
Posted Image
My heart is calling.
"Be good to yourself when nobody else will."

#10 remamamama

• 3,263 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:42 AM

YES, YES, YES, YES, and YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This made my day!!!!

Which song will she re-record?
Sparkle? Something He Can Feel? Hooked On Your Love?
Another remake of Look Into Your Heart?

Really hope she gets an Oscar nomination for this :)

Posted Image

#11 remamamama

• 3,263 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:07 AM

Is R Kelly produced the soundtrack?

Posted Image

#12 Cdj2002

• 1,362 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:07 AM

Im so happy to hear this. They have been "talking" about this project for close to ten years. I really can't wait to see this film.

Edited by Cdj2002, 13 September 2011 - 03:08 AM.

#13 remamamama

• 3,263 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:30 AM

View Postremamamama, on 13 September 2011 - 03:07 AM, said:

Is R Kelly producing the soundtrack?

Posted Image

#14 remamamama

• 3,263 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:33 AM

According to someone from facebook:
Whitney Talk/Whitney World

Whitney will be in Detroit tomorrow for wardrobe fitting and to meet with her acting coach. everything is happening soo fast im soo happy finally some positive news.
nick tweeted he will be in detroit tomorrow and i also got it from a trusted source.
Whitney Talk/Whitney World The source is the person that told me about production starting in october so dont worry you can trust whitney talk

Posted Image

#15 LuVaBoY

• 1,514 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:58 AM

View Postremamamama, on 13 September 2011 - 03:33 AM, said:

According to someone from facebook:
Whitney Talk/Whitney World

Whitney will be in Detroit tomorrow for wardrobe fitting and to meet with her acting coach. everything is happening soo fast im soo happy finally some positive news.
nick tweeted he will be in detroit tomorrow and i also got it from a trusted source.
Whitney Talk/Whitney World The source is the person that told me about production starting in october so dont worry you can trust whitney talk

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users