Seeking Donations

71 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

VIP Member

• 14,191 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

I never thought I would ever have to ask for donations to help me pay the bills for Whitney-Fan.com, but unfortunately, it's come time for me to do that. I've have formally setup a PayPal donation button at this page, if you would like to contribute:

http://www.whitney-f...ter/support.php

Why am I asking for donations? Because it costs me more than US$400 a month in Web hosting fees to keep this Web site online. Take that amount, and multiply it by months, and then by years, and you get some idea of how expensive this Web site is to me personally. That amount also does not include annual licensing fees that I pay for the music files, and to maintain software that runs certain aspects of this Web site. Each of those items cost several hundred dollars, on top of the hosting fees. Plus there are other subscriptions that I have to pay for. The money I spend on this Web site could pay for a car, or a downpayment on a home. So in the past, when I've said running this Web site is illogical, maybe now you understand.

Why is Whitney-Fan.com so expensive? Because it's enormous. It has thousands of pages and files and they all have to be hosted. This Web site actually got to a point where it was ready to die in late 2000. It was so big that it could no longer share a server with other Web sites. A shared server can handle maybe 200 small Web sites, I think. But Whitney-Fan.com was so big that it would knock all those other Web sites offline because it needed all the bandwidth for itself. So that was the start of moving it to a dedicated server where it would run by itself, alone. At that point, it started to cost money to run, and it became more and more expensive as the Web site continued to grow.

I have always lost money on this Web site, but I felt is was OK to do that while I had a full-time job and a good paycheck. I could pay those bills without feeling the loss. But now I'm a graduate student, I no longer have a full-time job, I don't get those good paychecks anymore, and I feel every bill that I get. It's been this way since last summer, but now I'm at a point where my cash flow is so thin, that it will become a problem if I don't ask for donations. So I'm asking because I have no other choice.

This upsets me more than I can express, because I have never wanted to ask anyone for anything. Additionally, I have set this up as a voluntary measure. You are not required to pay 1 cent. But I may also be forced to implement mandatory membership fees.

I'm not asking for any large amounts. If all you want to donate, or all you can donate, is US$1, I will gladly accept and appreciate that dollar very much. If you want to contribute more than that, I will also appreciate that very much. But please, if you choose to donate, please don't overdo it. It would make me feel badly. Thank you very much for your support.
If tomorrow is judgment day ...
And the Lord asks me what I did with my life,
I will say I spent it with you.

#2 Chillaxinmia

• 1,809 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

Just made another small donation. The Whitney-fan.com site serves a very useful purpose and it is my wish for it to be around for many many more years to come. Coming to this site on an almost daily basis is now a part of my social routine and I love the breadth of the various types of topics we discuss here....

So donate ya'll, I'm sure that ANY AMOUNT donated does help to make a difference and helps to keep this site going.

#3 nip4py1

• 946 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:02 PM

well, I just got a bonus. so I donated just now. hope to enjoy whitney fan for another great year :thumbup:

come on guys help lisa out if you can. :bye:

Posted Image

#4 Lisa

VIP Member

• 14,191 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

Thank you both so much! :flowers: It really helps and your contributions will be put to good use. Call me Clive, but this is the year that WF relaunches, I swear!

#5 Terrence

C.O.O. & Founder Of Ford Illustra (FI) Productions

• 31,608 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:46 PM

View PostLisa, on Jan 3 2009, 08:11 PM, said:

Thank you both so much! :flowers: It really helps and your contributions will be put to good use. Call me Clive, but this is the year that WF relaunches, I swear!

Near the end of the third quarter like "always" huh? LOL!! :P

Posted Image

FI Throwback...

#6 CoNcLusIveTrUthZ

Conclue

• 17,804 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

I been calling you Clive, LOL I want to call you Lisa again. :lol: HA!

I'll make a donation as soon as I get a job. I should be cruel and evil and vile and say no donations till the WF Relaunch, but I *know* you've been working your BLEEP! off on it so we'll let it slide. :shades:

Posted Image

"You can look back and know, you were loved"

#7 Kevin

Pitchologist Dr. Kevin

• 6,105 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

Lisa, I am hoping to donate some money to you soon. I'm trying to set up a pay pal account. But I have to wait a few days apparently. I was hoping to donate around 2 pounds. Which is around 4 dollars (approximately).

Posted Image
Whitney Houston defines Beauty
Beauty defines Whitney Houston

Sleep in peace my beautiful Angel

#8 Lisa

VIP Member

• 14,191 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:03 PM

Thank you Kevin! It will help. :flowers:

#9 NeyBethSton

• 1,221 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

View PostTerrence, on Jan 4 2009, 12:46 AM, said:

RIGHT!!!! I love you Lisa... about to send a donation now!!!

-J. Preston Brant

#10 NeyBethSton

• 1,221 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:03 AM

View PostNeyBethSton, on Mar 29 2009, 03:02 PM, said:

-J. Preston Brant

Done

#11 Lisa

VIP Member

• 14,191 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

View PostNeyBethSton, on Apr 1 2009, 09:03 AM, said:

View PostNeyBethSton, on Mar 29 2009, 03:02 PM, said:

-J. Preston Brant

Done

Thanks very much Preston! :flowers:

#12 brandonjaye

• 789 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:59 AM

Since I just quit my job, I figure I'd better make a donation, since I'll be here a lot more for a while. I need something to keep me from falling into the ABC Daytime line-up.

#13 Lisa

VIP Member

• 14,191 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:59 AM

View Postbrandonjaye, on Apr 22 2009, 12:59 PM, said:

Since I just quit my job, I figure I'd better make a donation, since I'll be here a lot more for a while. I need something to keep me from falling into the ABC Daytime line-up.

Thanks Brandon! :flowers: I hope you got my e-mail.

#14 brandonjaye

• 789 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:30 PM

View PostLisa, on May 2 2009, 08:59 AM, said:

Thanks Brandon! :flowers: I hope you got my e-mail.
I did. I know you are very busy. As soon as I can, I'll do it again, too!

#15 NeyBethSton

• 1,221 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:42 PM

Fall into ABC Daytime... me and Kisha (NippyFan) will meet you there and keep you safe from the Landview Serial killer as well as the return of the Satin Slayer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users