Why doesn't Whitney sing Run To You live?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Dubs84

• 257 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:50 PM

Now ive read over the years that she did this song in NYC on the TBG Tour, but there is no evidence. I think if Christina can take a stab @ it, Whit can...it is her song...lol, anyway let me kno why u think she doesn't do this #. I personally don't think its hard vocally, she can just change the keys like she does all her songs. Now if im not mistaken i think she said this on New Music Week 99 on TRL, that she changes songs depending on her voice which is understanable. Let me kno what u all think.

#2 johnonippy

• 9,201 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:59 PM

Oh, it exists and she has done it.

There is just some BLEEP! who has it and won't share it. Even if he is a "fan", he is the enemy. If any of us ever track him down, it's not gonna be pretty.
(and RTY guy, THAT IS A THREAT!!!)

Sorry about that. I get touchy on this subject. LMAO.

It really is vocally her hardest song. I think thats why it isn't in the setlist.

Edited by johnonippy, 06 August 2008 - 01:00 PM.

Posted Image
w h i t n e y h o u s t o n
The Voice l The Beauty l The Legacy

1963-2012 - Lover for life.

#3 Mind Speaker

A Proud Member of the Nippy Trinity

• 9,750 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:02 PM

View Postjohnonippy, on Aug 6 2008, 12:59 PM, said:

Oh, it exists and she has done it.

There is just some BLEEP! who has it and won't share it. Even if he is a "fan", he is the enemy. If any of us ever track him down, it's not gonna be pretty.
(and RTY guy, THAT IS A THREAT!!!)

Sorry about that. I get touchy on this subject. LMAO.

It really is vocally her hardest song. I think thats why it isn't in the setlist.

Oooh, Johnno, don't even make me go there about that guy...

Posted Image

"When melodies are gone, in you I hear a song..."

Legend | ANGEL | Icon
Whitney.

(Banner Courtesy of Johnonippy)

#4 Whitney's Bodyguard

• 1,414 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:18 PM

My biggest guess is just that it's such a vocally difficult song to perform (It's up there with DWAHIA as one of her biggest vocal performances) that her voice might not be able to handle it in a concert of 10-15 songs when she's already pretty vocally tired. I'm not doubting Whitney's abilities but she's such a perfectionist, knowing her she'd rather not do a song at all than not do it justice.

Posted Image

Rest in Peace, Michael. Sometimes God has to call his angels home.

#5 Shani

• 492 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:36 PM

View PostWhitney's Bodyguard, on Aug 6 2008, 01:18 PM, said:

My biggest guess is just that it's such a vocally difficult song to perform (It's up there with DWAHIA as one of her biggest vocal performances) that her voice might not be able to handle it in a concert of 10-15 songs when she's already pretty vocally tired. I'm not doubting Whitney's abilities but she's such a perfectionist, knowing her she'd rather not do a song at all than not do it justice.

I think the same. =]
Posted Image

#6 Sonofatutu

• 558 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:02 AM

DWAHIA and R2U are completely different songs vocally: DWAHIA is just unbridled power, and some might say the recording is too much power - in this case, less is more - , which is why Nippy cools it down and builds from soft to power, whenever she delivers this song live.
ON the other hand, I think R2U is frankly one of the most difficult songs to sing because it was recorded with such wonderful subtle, yet complex musicianship with runs where they should be, and a variety of vocal shades and feeling that make this song grab hold of the heart strings and never let go.
I have often said that Nippy's runs at their best, were the best in the business as they are always interjected in complete service of the story being told and R2U is the perfect example of this; I Believe in You and Me is another.

As to why Whitney does not do it in concert as much as the others - she did at Earls Court in London during TBG tour - I donít know for sure but can only imagine it is because her sets focus like any other singers, mostly on the songs that charted highest from each album, and as wonderful as R2U is, it did not stand a chance with all the other contenders from that album, and then there are all the other albums. It would not surprise me tho if going forward, we see it done more than others as it fits very nicely into how sparingly Whitney is using the power in her voice live these days, in order to preserve it - just think of IWALY in Kazakhstan

#7 Mind Speaker

A Proud Member of the Nippy Trinity

• 9,750 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:33 AM

Just as an aside, she has performed the song at least once (at least three times, actually--one from Earls Court that Sonofatutu just mentioned and one from a concert smeckles attended) and I've heard it. The guy who recorded it won't trade for all the tea in China. He let me hear a 30 second sample on the phone, though. She KILLED the recorded version from what I heard.

Posted Image

"When melodies are gone, in you I hear a song..."

Legend | ANGEL | Icon
Whitney.

(Banner Courtesy of Johnonippy)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users