Banner Tip Thread

42 replies to this topic

#31 Terrence

C.O.O. & Founder Of Ford Illustra (FI) Productions

• 31,609 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:45 PM

View Postnip4py1, on Nov 18 2008, 12:15 PM, said:

I tryed to make my own banner :shocked:

I justed corel paint photoshop but it's a .cpt file how do I change this. otherwise I can't upload it :(

You can't just save as a new format when you go to save it? Photoshop for example always prefers you to save as a photoshop image to preserve all of the layers, but you can opt to save it in any format you choose by going to save as and using the little drop down button. You cant do that on Corel?

Posted Image

FI Throwback...

#32 Terrence

• 31,609 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:46 PM

P.S. Can't wait to see what you came up with!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Posted Image

FI Throwback...

#33 nip4py1

• 946 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:02 PM

thanks terrence, that worked! :thumbup:

sooo... what y'all think?
my first attempt. :unsure:

Posted Image

#34 Terrence

• 31,609 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:44 PM

View Postnip4py1, on Nov 22 2008, 05:02 PM, said:

thanks terrence, that worked! :thumbup:

sooo... what y'all think?
my first attempt. :unsure:

Good job!! I said it over on the main bbs as well. I love the silver effect you put on her. It gives an embossed look without looking too metallic. I like that. Keep up the good work, and welcome to the banner game!! :welcome:

Posted Image

FI Throwback...

#35 buddha

• 6,001 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

Well here's a mini tutorial for my current banner since Terrence asked...:)

The banner is a painting, because that's my new thing. lol Of course you could do a banner
like this far easier by combining pictures, but I wanted to practice digital painting,
also I think when painting you can add a far more personal touch to the work.

So, how is it done...first you want to find reference photos, I used two Whitney pictures,
one for the body and one for the head. Also I used a Jennifer Aniston photo for the dress.

Then make a sketch of the work. Since I don't have a tablet which allows you to draw to
the computer like with a pen, and it's pretty impossible to draw with the mouse, I used
the pen tool in photoshop.

You wanna make a basic shape of the work(it was larger than this pic in reality):

Posted Image

I wanted it to be perfect so I directly traced the outline of the body from the original
photo with the pen tool, lol. With the dress I couldn't do that because it fit Whitney
differently than Aniston, so you just have to use your imagination to make it right.

Then just start painting! It's really easy actually. Just choose what kind of effect you
want to give, totally realistic or stylized, I went for the stylized look, because if I
wanted realism I might as well used the real pics, and it has more umph imo. lol

My techniques are probably three sorts of BLEEP! up but anyway lol...they're mine and I
love them.lol

Then start painting some rough highlights, shadows, and midtones. It doesn't have to look
really fancy at this point lol, just paint the most important h/s/m that create the shape.

Posted Image

I did the same to the dress, and the started smudging all the colors together so that it
looked smooth. You don't have to use the smudge tool if you want a more painted feel, but I like the effect smudging gives. Also I kept definining the shape more and adding stronger shadows etc etc.

Posted Image

Then I did the head, I did it separately because I needed to have it larger to have
better details. So just the same treatment to the head and hair, resizing it, and adding
it to the body.

Posted Image

WHAM!

Posted Image (nevermind the sand lol)

And there it is pretty much...did some recoloring etc. to finish it and put it in a banner!

Edited by buddha, 04 December 2008 - 07:22 PM.

Posted Image

#36 buddha

• 6,001 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:27 PM

Oh yeah just want to add the the highlights etc are easy to draw with the mouse, but long and curvy lines and such I do with the pen tool.
Posted Image

#37 Terrence

• 31,609 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

View Postbuddha, on Dec 4 2008, 07:27 PM, said:

Oh yeah just want to add the the highlights etc are easy to draw with the mouse, but long and curvy lines and such I do with the pen tool.

Wow Buddah! I'm impressed. You have something that I do not have. An excellent straight hand for drawing lines with a mouse. I can't draw a freehand straight line to save my LIFE! LOL

Posted Image

FI Throwback...

#38 johnonippy

• 9,201 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:21 PM

View PostTerrence, on Dec 4 2008, 10:15 PM, said:

Wow Buddah! I'm impressed. You have something that I do not have. An excellent straight hand for drawing lines with a mouse. I can't draw a freehand straight line to save my LIFE! LOL

We're in the same boat then! :lol: I just found this fancy little tool in photoshop that makes extracting Whit from pics a BREEZE!!

Posted Image
w h i t n e y h o u s t o n
The Voice l The Beauty l The Legacy

1963-2012 - Lover for life.

#39 buddha

• 6,001 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:22 AM

Aww c'mon, try it, it's easy! And fun! Atleast to me. lol
Posted Image

#40 buddha

• 6,001 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:25 AM

View Postjohnonippy, on Dec 4 2008, 10:21 PM, said:

We're in the same boat then! :lol: I just found this fancy little tool in photoshop that makes extracting Whit from pics a BREEZE!!

You mean the extract tool? That only really works if the Whitney pic is highly contrasted from the background, otherwise the edges look a mess! lol

Great banner btw!
Posted Image

#41 johnonippy

• 9,201 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:30 PM

View Postbuddha, on Dec 5 2008, 07:25 AM, said:

You mean the extract tool? That only really works if the Whitney pic is highly contrasted from the background, otherwise the edges look a mess! lol

Yeah, I noticed that a bit ago. It works great on the JW/OW pics though, the ones with the white backgrounds. :lol:

View Postbuddha, on Dec 5 2008, 07:25 AM, said:

Great banner btw!

Thanks! :)

Posted Image
w h i t n e y h o u s t o n
The Voice l The Beauty l The Legacy

1963-2012 - Lover for life.

#42 jingli

• 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:32 PM

I Draw Whitney here:

#43 clemsonfight

GO TIGERS!

• 7,559 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

Blah...re-reading this thread, things seemed so much simpler back in these times... Wonder if things will ever be that light and fun around here again?
Posted Image
"The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users