OT: How to judge a singer?

4 replies to this topic

#1 worldsbest

• 645 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:29 AM

Hi yŠll! just wanted to know your opinions on what are the best criteria for judging a singer. Most of the time I hear in singing contests their criteria for judging are something like;

Voice Quality - 20%

Interpretation - 20%

Singing Style/ musicality - 20%

Stage Presence - 20%

Audience Impact 20%

Total - 100% (ofcourse)

More or less, this is their criteria for judging but what I want is a more comprehensive type of criterias to really distinguish one from the other. There are a lot of talented people around the world, some are famous, some are not and some are just talented enough but are yet to be discovered.

Can any of you give a very comprehensive criterias for judging a singer that is applicable to both new to even legendary singers like whitney and aretha. A set of criterias that would even tell whitney and aretha's talent in singing apart. :o

Just wondering if somebody can......

#2 Eboni

The High Elderess of Whitney-fan.com - 10 years & counting

• 23,707 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:07 PM

View Postworldsbest, on Sep 30 2006, 03:29 AM, said:

Hi yŠll! just wanted to know your opinions on what are the best criteria for judging a singer. Most of the time I hear in singing contests their criteria for judging are something like;

Voice Quality - 20%

Interpretation - 20%

Stage Presence - 20%

Audience Impact 20%

Total - 100% (ofcourse)

More or less, this is their criteria for judging but what I want is a more comprehensive type of criterias to really distinguish one from the other. There are a lot of talented people around the world, some are famous, some are not and some are just talented enough but are yet to be discovered.

Can any of you give a very comprehensive criterias for judging a singer that is applicable to both new to even legendary singers like whitney and aretha. A set of criterias that would even tell whitney and aretha's talent in singing apart. :o

Can you be more specific? What do you mean by criteria that can tell singers apart from others? Most singing contest like you mentioned use the criteria you named because they are not just looking at pure singing. They are looking for a performer. Whether or not the audience likes the song has a lot to do with the song choice and people's personal music tastes. Stage presence has nothing to do with being a great singer either.

Now if you want to look at strictly singing, how to judge a great singer from just an average or good singer, then I think you must look at voice, power, style, interpretative skill, and technique.

Me personally, I think a great singer knows their limits and strengths very well and uses all of this to the best of their advantage. Singing is tricky because you can't just judge it simply black & white, like you would other musical instruments. The vocal chords are muscles. They get tired and they don't always respond in the same fashion when they are called upon.

If I had to quantify my criteria for judging a great singer I'd say:

Voice Quality/Tone: 40%

Power: 15%

Range/Dexterity: 10%

Interpretative Skill: 25%

Technique: 10%

Posted Image

#3 worldsbest

• 645 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:15 PM

View PostEboni, on Oct 1 2006, 03:07 AM, said:

Voice Quality - 20%

Interpretation - 20%

Stage Presence - 20%

Audience Impact 20%

Total - 100% (ofcourse)

Can you be more specific? What do you mean by criteria that can tell singers apart from others? Most singing contest like you mentioned use the criteria you named because they are not just looking at pure singing. They are looking for a performer. Whether or not the audience likes the song has a lot to do with the song choice and people's personal music tastes. Stage presence has nothing to do with being a great singer either.

Now if you want to look at strictly singing, how to judge a great singer from just an average or good singer, then I think you must look at voice, power, style, interpretative skill, and technique.

Me personally, I think a great singer knows their limits and strengths very well and uses all of this to the best of their advantage. Singing is tricky because you can't just judge it simply black & white, like you would other musical instruments. The vocal chords are muscles. They get tired and they don't always respond in the same fashion when they are called upon.

Hi Eboni thanks for your reply! First of all, in overall, I'm looking for criteria for judging a singer performer because a singer don't just record a song in studio, later on that singer will have to perform his/her song live. But since you've already given your criteria for judging we might as well try to use it and make a quick dry run with your given criteria to see if it is sufficient enough to differentiate two singer performers who is better overall. Would you mind rating Dionne Warwick and Gladys Knight based on your criteria for judging them? I do need your opinion. :thumbup:
And others as well! :bye:

#4 butch31

• 59 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:25 PM

I usually judge a great performer/singer/entertainer by their performance with LIVE instruments (band), if they need tracks and a ear piece...I'M GOOD! :bye:

View Postworldsbest, on Sep 30 2006, 02:15 PM, said:

View PostEboni, on Oct 1 2006, 03:07 AM, said:

Voice Quality - 20%

Interpretation - 20%

Stage Presence - 20%

Audience Impact 20%

Total - 100% (ofcourse)

Hi Eboni thanks for your reply! First of all, in overall, I'm looking for criteria for judging a singer performer because a singer don't just record a song in studio, later on that singer will have to perform his/her song live. But since you've already given your criteria for judging we might as well try to use it and make a quick dry run with your given criteria to see if it is sufficient enough to differentiate two singer performers who is better overall. Would you mind rating Dionne Warwick and Gladys Knight based on your criteria for judging them? I do need your opinion. :thumbup:
And others as well! :bye:

#5 Cdj2002

• 1,359 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:08 PM

View PostEboni, on Sep 30 2006, 03:07 PM, said:

Voice Quality - 20%

Interpretation - 20%

Stage Presence - 20%

Audience Impact 20%

Total - 100% (ofcourse)

I agree with this criteria, except I would change the percentages depending on genre. Someone who sings Pop shouldn't be judged on the same criteria vocally as someone who sings in the genres of Jazz,Broadway, Blues or Folk even sub-genre's of R&B (like Neo-soul).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users